Other Side of the Couch

Welcome to a blog that aims to be full of insightful ramblings from a licensed psychotherapist, with a specialty in sex therapy and marriage and family therapy. It is my hope that this blog will be of interest to people in therapy, people contemplating therapy, people contemplating being therapists, people about to be therapists and people who already are therapists!

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Lie Much?


Okay, this blog might be controversial, particularly with other therapists, but here goes….

I believe that lying, to self and others, and being lied to is the fundamental reason why people end up in therapy.

Husbands have affairs and don’t tell wives the real reasons why. (“You gained weight.” “You won’t have sex with me often enough.” “You spend too much of my money.” “I’m too scared to talk about how I really feel and maybe this (affair) will make you throw me out so I don’t have to.”)

Wives have affairs and don’t tell husbands the real reasons why. (Ditto all the above)

People come to therapy ostensibly to work on their relationships with family members but aren’t willing to be honest, either with their therapist or ultimately their family members/parents, about their experience of growing up in their families and how this impacted them.

Women won’t tell men what they really like and don’t like about having sex

Men won’t risk telling women what really turns them on

Men and Women leave husbands and wives rather than hurt their feelings and tell them the truth about their diminished interest and hurt feelings about the state of their marriages.

Adolescents act out and lie to their parents to avoid the consequence of their actions.

Adult siblings who harbor long-time lies about events in their relationships would rather put up with diminished emotional connection and intimacy rather than ‘fess up to their deceptions.

People lie, cheat and steal their way through life and won’t authentically tolerate the release that comes from finally being real and getting honest.

Parents won’t be honest with their children about the mistakes they made.

Children won’t be honest to their parents about their mistakes.

People even (gasp!) lie to their therapists.

In fact, people even lie about lying. Here are some of the lies they tell:

“It was a white lie.”
“It was the partial truth.”
“It would kill him if I told him the truth and I’m hiding the truth to save his feelings.”
“I didn’t lie. I just didn’t say anything when asked.”
“I’m not an habitual liar. I just lie when I need to.”
“I don’t lie. I just withhold.”

Lying to yourself and lying to others causes:

**Stress (anxiety, elevated blood pressure, coronary problems, etc.)

**Depression and lethargy

**Exhaustion (due to the amount of tap-dancing you have to do to prevent the truth from being revealed!)

**Feelings of inauthenticity in yourself and in the people you’re lying to

**Distance and emotional disconnect in personal relationships

**An inability to really take the reins in your own life and assume responsibility for how you would truly like to live the rest of your life

**People to feel manipulated and deceived

Here’s my recommendation for folks who lie (that’s all of us by the way!):

**Read Dr. Brad Blanton’s book, “Radical Honesty: How to transform your life by telling the truth.”

**When you’ve done that, read, “Practicing Radical Honesty: How to Complete the Past, Live in the Present and Build the Future with a Little Help From Your Friends,” also by Dr. Brad Blanton. (www.RadicalHonesty.com)

**Start telling people in your life the truth and be willing to face the consequences and get real

**Tell your therapist the truth. This means all the places you hide, lie, deceive and manipulate the facts about your life in order to prevent your therapist from seeing the real you. He or she can’t help you if you hide yourself in a web of dishonesty and deception. Take a risk and find the truth.

5 Comments:

  • At 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like the idea of no lies but don't like what I understand of the book. The book appears to preach a religion of futility. That seems to me to be the bigger lie. Hitler said "If you want to tell lies and be believed make sure they are big lies". Personally I believe that to tell a lie implies that you know the truth. Unfortunately I'm not sure that we always know the truth. That's one of the benefits of therapy, to put us in touch with the truth. Jesus said "You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free". I believe in the freeing power of the truth. I'd much rather believe in that than futuility!

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger Jassy said…

    I agree that sometimes people don't know what the truth is. But instead of saying, "I don't know" they make up some crazy story about WHY they don't know. I think that Blanton's point is not to have people believe in nothing but to be less "attached" to the ideas and stories that we have created to shore up our idea of who and what we really are, instead of being truthful that we have no idea. I agreed that the truth sets you free, not because Jesus was supposed to have said it, but because it makes life less complicated, and less stressful. Blanton calls the hell most of us live in the "jail of our minds." He says, "The mind is a terrible thing. Waste it." I think this is where the idea of futilitarianism comes from - the idea that we are imprisoned in our belief systems. If we believe in nothing, we are free to experience and possibly believe in everything.

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am a HUGE fan of Brad Blanton's work, and consider myself an advocate of radical honesty, which is based on Gestalt, it is basically the gestalt way of life he teaches.
    I run a mental health online community, called Our Common Condition, and would like to post this webpage with a link back here. We are consumers, dealing with everything from everyday neurosis to severe, multi-disordered mental illness. Please let me know if I need and have your permission.

    Thank you,
    Robin,
    founder,
    Our Common Condition

     
  • At 6:55 AM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Robin:

    Thanks for your comment. I tried to leave you a message on ezboard and couldn't without "joining" which I chose not to do. However, I would be honored if you chose to link this blog to your board.

    Jassy

     
  • At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I attended my partner's church recently and found the sermon fascinating. It had to do with truth vs. untruth. The analogy was real in WWII Germany:

    Suppose you're hiding Jews in your home. The SS shows up and asks you if you know of anyone hiding Jews. You reply that you do not and that you would most certainly report such activity to the SS if it came to your attention. You give the Heil Hitler salute and close the door.

    You have just lied- lives were saved, but it remains a lie.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home