Other Side of the Couch

Welcome to a blog that aims to be full of insightful ramblings from a licensed psychotherapist, with a specialty in sex therapy and marriage and family therapy. It is my hope that this blog will be of interest to people in therapy, people contemplating therapy, people contemplating being therapists, people about to be therapists and people who already are therapists!

Monday, April 10, 2006

Taking Care of Business



It’s Monday. I rarely see clients on Mondays. It’s a day for catching up with my reading,(professional journals and books and the new waiting room “Oprah” magazine, before it goes out to the waiting room!) returning calls to prospective clients, paying bills and doing paperwork. Every other Monday I have lunch with my friend Doriana, a Neuropsychologist and Italian born. But not today.


While I talk about Mondays as “my day off,” I’m still hard at work taking care of some of the important aspects of being a psychotherapist –the minutiae of running a business. For example, in my office sits a bright red suede loveseat. I fell in love with it two years ago, and since then its cheerful red has become somewhat soiled and dirtied by the fingers of anxious clients. While waiting for Carpet Busters to arrive and perform miracles on the couch, I return a call to a guy called Steve, from a health club in Watertown. He wants to know if I’d like to be the exclusive therapeutic referral source for clients from their fitness club membership. This “referral source” honor will cost me $800 per year, and for this I get to be the only psychotherapist who advertises in the foyer of the health club. I tell him that I’ll get back to him. My practice is already full, and don’t know if I can handle any more referrals. I call a colleague, Bettina Dee, a wonderful EMDR therapist in Watertown Square, and ask her if she’s interested in using the advertising slot. She is and says that she’s very appreciative of the opportunity. Bettina moved to the Boston area from California, where she had a thriving clinical practice. She’s just launching her practice here, where her clinical specialty is working with women who have had traumatic birth experiences.

As I type, I have a very friendly young man here from Carpet Busters in Waltham, MA, cleaning both the couch and my carpeting. When I pointed out the love seat and the specific areas I wanted him to concentrate on, he said, “I bet that’s tear-stained.” Good observation. And coffee-stained, pen-blotched and greasy where anxious people have grasped the arms of the couch and clung on for dear life. If only a fresh couch could be a fresh start for all the couples who sit on this couch, working so hard to make their relationships work.

As Guy, the carpet man, works on cleaning my rugs and couch, we chat backwards and forwards about what I do and about where I’m from, and about his business. It turns out that he’s been to Portsmouth in the south of England. Like 250 million other people I’ve met in the last 20 years while living in the US, he comments that he “loves” my accent. By the end of the visit, bringing cleanliness and order to my cozy little office, he’s pronouncing the word “dirty” with a delightful British accent as “dirty” with a “t” instead of a “d” – as in “dur-dee.” I point it out to him and he looks embarrassed, but seems pleased. When people tell me they love my accent, I frequently tell them that I like theirs. Most Americans are stunned. “I have an accent?” is a frequent response. I have one adolescent client who loves country and western music. On one occasion, she was playing me her favorite C&W song, I put on a southern accent and sang along with her. She shrieked and told me to stop. "It freaks me out that you sound like that!" she said. I've never done that again. Accents are very powerful things, don't you know.

After Guy leaves, I sit and admire my slightly damp, but nonetheless clean couch and the rug whose colors are now more apparent than before, smothered as they were previously beneath the salt staining and trampled in mud from the after-effects of a New England winter. I return a couple of new client calls and emails. The first appointment for a new client or clients is nearly always the hardest one to make. Other people’s busy lives and a busy clinical practice make for scheduling challenges, and it’s interesting how different people handle the challenge. Sometimes prospective clients become frustrated and angry at playing phone tag as we try to find a mutually convenient time for the initial session. Sometimes they act apologetically and guilty for being so “difficult” to meet with, as if they are doing it on purpose. Yes, folks…even the first few telephone calls are therapeutically valid as far as I’m concerned!

Dori, the Executive Director of the non-profit agency next door, is in today. I give her Guy’s number in case she should need her office carpets cleaned, and she comes into my office to look at his handiwork. Dori is a great writer, and I ask her if she would be willing to edit my web pages text for grammatical errors and run-on sentences. Affirmative. I’ve been working on the text for so long that I’m making things over-complicated in my attempts to be succinct. The web designer is all set to launch the site as soon as he has the text and I need to also get a photograph taken. Photographs. Always a challenge. I’ve lost some weight recently and seem to be continuing to lose. Do I post a photograph at my current weight, or post a photo that’s a few years older figuring that I’ll look like that before too long anyway? I’ll mull this one over. Meanwhile, I’ll let you know as soon as the site is launched.



7 Comments:

  • At 10:59 PM, Blogger Medicoglia, RN said…

    Accents are definitely powerful things. Stereotypes and all you know. ;) Know matter how hard I fight it, I still find my first reaction to be that British accents indicate refinement, high intelligence and maybe arrogance at times...and deep southern USA accents seem the opposite, low intelligence, ignorance and racism. I know both of these assumptions are not correct in most cases, but that is still the initial reaction. Is "dur-dee" a Mass. accent? Most people I know in Ca definitely pronounce a t in the word.

    The first appointment is definitely the most difficult to make. I got pretty lucky with mine. After calling 8 or 9 people and leaving messages, I got a total of 3 call backs. 2 the same day and one 3 days later. The first one said I can see you at the end of march (it was january and I was actively suicidal), and it was her receptionist that called. The second asked a bunch of questions then asked if I had any...then asked if I would contract with her verbally (I wouldn't, but had with my GP so that was ok) she then said can you come tomorrow? The third call was 3 days later saying no openings, but by then I had already seen the second one and have now been with her for 4 years. I think one of the things that makes it so difficult is admitting that you need help...not just the scheduling conflicts. For me, I schedule around therapy because that is the one thing I will absolutely not do without. Not at this stage anyway.

    Sera

     
  • At 4:52 AM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Sera:

    You make some good points about accents. I have to admit that I was taken by surprise to find out just how extremely positively Americans respond to my accent in just about every situation. I remember when I first moved to the US in 1984 and was looking for apartments, I never got asked for a credit check by landlords. They just assumed that I would be a "good risk." This despite the fact that I was a struggling single parent at the time. My roots are humble, so arrogance doesn't come with the package. In the UK, people can tell that my accent is not upper class/aristocracy. Here it's assumed that I am. But growing up, my two sisters and I shared a small bedroom until I was 9 years old, and my family lived 'simply' because we had little.

    Maybe because I didn't grow up in the US, I don't have that response to Southern US accents. If I was magically granted a new accent, I would pick a southern accent. I have a friend in Louisiana, Kathy Long, also a therapist, whose voice sounds like "honey poured through magnolia blossoms." Just mesmerising to listen to.

    As for your story about finding an appointment with a new therapist, I think that's pretty typical. I always call people back because I know just how hard it is to pluck up the courage to place a call to a therapist's office to begin with. I think the longest I've ever taken to return a new client call would be 3 days, and that's usually because I've been out of town or on vacation. Not to return a call is unprofessional and, I think, unethical. Admitting that you need help is difficult for most people, but on top of that to call a complete stranger and ask...well, that takes guts. Honoring that courage with a phone call is the least that we should be doing as therapists. If I don't have space for a new client, I always ask the person if I can talk to them for a few minutes to see if I can be helpful in making suggestions for a referral to somebody who I think might be a good match for them. It takes so little time and means a lot. I mean, how on earth does the average person go about picking a therapist? Having a referral from somebody who has a good idea about "good" therapists helps.

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, I think you should post a current picture of you on your site. It sounds like you are really very busy. And it made me think of something I have been wanting to ask someone in your profession.

    I was wondering.. you dont have to answer but I was wondering.. you said that the longest it took you to call back a new client was 3 days. How long does it take for you to call back a current client usually?

    I have a therapist who I have been seeing for two almost three years and shes is pretty awesome when I'm talking with her. But lately she has started being really late to our appointments and is always fifteen minutes to a half an hour late when I go to see her. At first she said she was sorry she was late or whatever but now she doesn't even mention it. I feel somewhat I don't know sad I guess because it seems like she is to busy to care.

    I was having some big time problems this weekend so I called her on Sunday night (I never call her during the week usually) I am seeing her really soon on Tuesday but I was hoping she would call me back sometime Monday. She didn't.

    I know I should talk to her and tell her how I am feeling and see what she says but that is so hard and I don't really know how to bring up the subject because it will be really uncomfortable.

    None of my f2f friends see a T really and people I do know online that see T's seem like their T's call them back and stuff. I just don't know what would be normal behavior and was wondering since you are a T do you usually call back your clients pretty fast? What do you think I should do?

    Dragon

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Dragon: Good question. The phone message for my office says that in times of emergency, if I'm not available, clients should go to their nearest emergency room. During the week, if a client requests a call back, I usually return calls that same day. However, I often go away at the weekend, and although I do check my messages, I am not always in a position to return calls. (For example, I frequently am staying in the hills where there isn't always cell phone service.) Usually, if a client leaves a message for me and says that it's an emergency, I am pretty good about calling back that day. Some clients find it helpful just to leave messages on my voicemail, not necessarily wanting a call back, but to fill me in on what is happening with their lives before the next session. Unless they specify that they would like me to call, I don't usually return these kinds of messages.

    As for your situation with your therapist, I heartily recommend that you find a way to talk to her about your feelings. My suggestion is that you write something down to give her to read that explains how you are feeling. It's often easier for people to do this than it is to say the words out loud. But it still gets the conversation going.

    As for her being habitually late to your sessions, this you should DEFINITELY say something about. I am very apologetic when sessions run over and you most assuredly are deserved an apology and an explanation.

    By the way, thanks for the suggestion about the photograph. As soon as I have a current one, I'll post it.

    Jassy

     
  • At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for writing me back so quick. :) I will try to write to her about it. Great idea!

     
  • At 1:12 AM, Anonymous www.ukpaperwriting.com said…

    And you are really very succinct. Enjoyed reading your post! Nice time management, by the way))

     
  • At 1:15 AM, Anonymous www.ukpaperwriting.com said…

    And you are really very succinct. Enjoyed reading your post! Nice time management, by the way))

     

Post a Comment

<< Home