Other Side of the Couch

Welcome to a blog that aims to be full of insightful ramblings from a licensed psychotherapist, with a specialty in sex therapy and marriage and family therapy. It is my hope that this blog will be of interest to people in therapy, people contemplating therapy, people contemplating being therapists, people about to be therapists and people who already are therapists!

Friday, April 21, 2006

Dual Relationships

I decided to write this blog after receiving a comment recently by somebody who became romantically involved with their therapist and was seeking advice for how to handle the outcome.

In my own experience as a client, it’s definitely a huge bonus if the therapist is friendly, warm and caring. But the ethical guidelines that govern therapeutic relationships, no matter what type of therapist you are, always maintain strict rules around what are known as dual relationships. Therapy relationships are one-sided for very good reason. As much as your therapist loves you and/or you come to love your therapist, they will never and, in my opinion, should never be your friend or romantic partner.

Clients take a huge risk in opening up to a therapist. Most people coming to therapy usually start from a place of extreme vulnerability and unease in their lives. Maybe they are in a shaky marriage. Perhaps they are beginning to look at their sexual orientation. They may recently have begun to work on their sexual abuse history. They may have just lost a significant relationship in their life. Or perhaps they have had a miscarriage or a child has just died. Whatever the presenting issue, people rarely come to therapy because they are so gosh-darned happy, that they need to sit down with a complete stranger and talk about it. The nature of this relationship automatically creates an imbalance of power and it is the therapist’s job and professional duty to uphold the boundaries between him/herself and the client. Any time your relationship with a therapist is anything but a therapist and a client, that is considered a dual relationships.

One important perspective that all therapists need to maintain is the ability to put their clients needs above their own. If I have a clear and vested interest in having some of my important emotional, physical and psychological needs met from my client in the context of a friendship and/or sexual relationship, how can I remain committed to putting them first? Any time a therapist is in a position where they cannot put their client’s needs above their own, they are on shaky ethical ground and it is their responsibility to make the decision about whether the therapeutic relationship is moving (or has moved) into dual relationship territory. Many dual relationships have innocent beginnings, (for example, you find yourself in the same book club as your therapist, or he/she is on the PTA, or n your local community watch group, etc.) but can quickly become exploitative and harmful to the client.

When data from national studies were measured, it was shown that 4.4% of therapists (7% of male therapists; 1.5% of female therapists) have had sexual relationships with their clients. The ethics codes of ALL mental health professions prohibits sexual relationships between clients and therapists, precisely because there is a recognition of the potential for psychological damage from these relationships developing. The most common emotional outcomes for clients who have become involved in a sexual relationship with their therapist are feelings of emptiness and loneliness, difficulty trusting in relationships, confusion over boundaries and the nature of helping relationships, an increased risk of suicidality, anger, feelings of guilt, hesitance and indecision in making life choices. On top of this people often find that their feelings fluctuate wildly, and report feeling out of control and an increased feeling of unpredictability in their lives. When research has been carried out on the outcomes for therapeutic relationships that became sexual in nature, in almost all cases the experience of the former client is predominantly negative. In addition, therapists who engage in sexual relationships with their clients rarely stop at just one client – they have often had multiple other sexual relationships and often choose the most vulnerable clients to initiate sexual contact with.

If your therapist has initiated sexual contact with you, or has offered to terminate therapy so that you can become involved in a relationship outside of the therapeutic context, I suggest that you seriously consider contacting another therapist. If the therapist is licensed or affiliated with a nationally recognized mental health association, consider contacting the association to ask them what action they suggest you taking. Clients frequently get “crushes” and/or fall in love with their therapists. These are complicated feelings to navigate and it is imperative that the therapist remain professional, impartial and maintain strict physical boundaries in order for clients to safely explore these feelings. The power imbalance in a therapy relationship rarely goes away, after either friendship or a sexual relationship has been established, and the power is nearly always in the therapist’s favor.

15 Comments:

  • At 8:27 AM, Blogger Donna said…

    Shame on that therapist for crossing the line. I hope he or she was turned in. It's such a violation of trust when this happens.

     
  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger Medicoglia, RN said…

    I think that not only is it a boundary violation and unethical when this happens, but it could also be considered abuse.

     
  • At 3:49 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Donna and Fallen Angels:

    I agree with both of your comments. It is a total violation of a client's trust, unethical, exploitative and abusive. If a therapist is ever in a position where sexual feelings start to surface in the therapy room, seeking clinical supervision as a way of putting on the brakes should be one of the first things that the therapist does. The therapist is ALWAYS responsible for the breach in boundaries between therapist and client, especially when the breach is of a sexual nature.

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Susan: Check out the American Psychological Association's website at www.APA.org. Click on Ethics Code on right hand side of page. There you will see the code laid out that psychologists have to adhere to in order to be allowed to practice. All licensed psychotherapists have to adhere to their professional code of ethics. Here's a relevant piece of the APA code as it pertains to sexual relationships with current AND former patients:

    ETHICAL PRINCIPLES OF PSYCHOLOGISTS AND CODE OF CONDUCT

    10.05 Sexual Intimacies With Current Therapy Clients/Patients
    Psychologists do not engage in sexual intimacies with current therapy clients/patients.

    10.06 Sexual Intimacies With Relatives or Significant Others of Current Therapy Clients/Patients
    Psychologists do not engage in sexual intimacies with individuals they know to be close relatives, guardians, or significant others of current clients/patients. Psychologists do not terminate therapy to circumvent this standard.

    10.07 Therapy With Former Sexual Partners
    Psychologists do not accept as therapy clients/patients persons with whom they have engaged in sexual intimacies.

    10.08 Sexual Intimacies With Former Therapy Clients/Patients
    (a) Psychologists do not engage in sexual intimacies with former clients/patients for at least two years after cessation or termination of therapy.

    (b) Psychologists do not engage in sexual intimacies with former clients/patients even after a two-year interval except in the most unusual circumstances. Psychologists who engage in such activity after the two years following cessation or termination of therapy and of having no sexual contact with the former client/patient bear the burden of demonstrating that there has been no exploitation, in light of all relevant factors, including (1) the amount of time that has passed since therapy terminated; (2) the nature, duration, and intensity of the therapy; (3) the circumstances of termination; (4) the client's/patient's personal history; (5) the client's/patient's current mental status; (6) the likelihood of adverse impact on the client/patient; and (7) any statements or actions made by the therapist during the course of therapy suggesting or inviting the possibility of a posttermination sexual or romantic relationship with the client/patient. (See also Standard 3.05, Multiple Relationships.)

     
  • At 2:08 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    ...and yes, you absolutely CAN tell somebody about your situation. While you have been sexually involved with him, he is ALWAYS, as far as the professional code of ethics is concerned, your therapist.

     
  • At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello,

    My question is, what if you wait the two years period and then start socializing with your previous therapist. Also I need to mention, patient is/was mentally healthy. More to the story if anyone is interested. My point is if there are no contact in two years, what is wrong with socializing and finding out where it goes? We are all human.

    Thanks

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Anonymous:

    I am interested in hearing more of your story, if you would like to share it.

    While it is true that we are, as you said, all human, it's also true that psychotherapists have a particular responsibility to their clients. This responsibility goes beyond a normal relationship. It is a so-called helping relationship, predicated on one person's ability (in this case the therapist) to remain steadfastly clear to the idea of being available for their client in their original capacity as a therapist, regardless of the passage of time.

    All the issues need to be very carefully evaluated before any decision is made on pursuing relationships after therapy has terminated (see the excerpt from the APA code I posted above).

    My personal position is that it's never okay to pursue a dual relationship with a client, despite the passing of two years or more. I would be interested to hear other people's opinions.

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jessy,

    I have read the APA code and I actually have called the board and asked if it is OK to socialize after two years period. The answer was yes. Just to clarify, this therapist have NEVER crossed boundires and in fact has told me straight forward how ethical he is!!! He IS very ethical and successful. It is me who would like to see him and socialize. I wouldn't know what will happen next. I am not planning on taking off my clothes the moment I see him. I do know I care about him deeply. I am 42 years old and never had an emothional or mental problem. He clarified this on our third session!!! Duration of therapy was 7 month and ONLY because I wanted to go and talk to him.I have tried to go on with my life and I still think about him after a year and a half and in a wierd way I am waiting for the next 6 months to pass by so I can call.I have studied psychology myself (not a licensed therapist0. I am a therapist and people lover by nature. It is in my blood. I do understand how people with problem get attached to a person who is willing to listen. I don't want to do any harm or be a reason for the loss of therpist license. I do want to do things legally. Is it true that we have to go in front of a board and he will lose his license regardless? It is sad if it is true. If therapist can't/should't be involved after two years why have this two years to begin with? IT should be no therapist will ever be allowed to have dual relationship of any sort for ever. I know about life and more, believe me. I will challenge any board if needs be. I just don't want jeoperdize him!!! I just want to know how can I see him and not break any rule?

    Thanks,

     
  • At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If APA has the power to prevent therapists from dual relationship even after two years(which can't be called dual, because after two years of no contact the first relationship is dead. Once you are divorced you are not called married to the same person!!) Why can't APA be strict enough to have a law female should seek female therapists and male, male therapist. This is how it is done in Islamic countries. This way emotional illusion will never be created and no sextual contact will be made. Why is it all about sex?? Can't we give ourselves some credit as humans?

     
  • At 11:04 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Anonymous: I'm not sure which anonymous I'm responding to or whether you are two separate people. I'm going to respond to the last post first. The previous comment requires some extra thought on my part, and I'll post a reply after I've contemplated how to respond appropriately.

    Meanwhile, APA does not have the power to prevent dual relationships. They have the power to strike a psychologist (in this case) of their license if they find out that a dual relationship with a client has been followed through on. It is the ethical responsibility of the therapist to make a determination as to the suitability of continuing a relationship outside of the therapy sessions.

    You make an interesting point about divorce. However, the rules governing therapy relationships are different. You can never really "divorce" a client, in my opinion. Once I start working with a client, I always assume that the nature of the relationship is therapeutic FOR EVER. People see me for therapy, leave for a year or so, and then often come back if they have a particular life challenge they are facing that I can help them with. I see myself as available to them in perpetuity in case they should need me. Other therapists might make different choices, but I take my ethical responsibility very seriously in this regard.

    I personally think the idea of a 2 year waiting period is too short, and that it should be much longer. This isn't necessarily a popular idea, particularly with therapists who wish to circumvent the APA's guidelines.

    As for female therapists being mandated to work with females, and males with males, I'm assuming that the purpose of this suggestions is to rule out the possibility of sexual contact? However, given that at least 10% of the population is gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered, this wouldn't take care of the issue of people falling in love with their therapist/client.

    Anonymous, I think "emotional illusion" is created the moment you start talking with a prospective therapist on the phone. We make up all kinds of complicated things about our therapists, and we do it before we've even met them. Things only get more complicated from there on out! But thanks for your thought-provoking comments.

     
  • At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am both anonymous. I replied twice. But if APA mandate the rule 90% of the population will be safe. To my understanding only 7% of male and 1.5% of female break the rule(that is of course what is reported) Therapist is a profession it is not a nature of a person. IT is a tool to help people. It should not keep people prisoner. I do understand the nature of this job. It is not about talking to a therapist on the phone. The phone conversation was only to make appointment nothing more!!! Cases are different people are different. Since I was 5 I was a listener and problem solver for many,many people. Young and old. I don know the difference between caring about someone and just wanting someone to help you with your problems. Emotional illusions DON'T last if you are not in touch with that person, unless one is mentally sick, very sick. I wish we could talk (not as therapist, patient)but you are very far. The depth of therapy is very important. I never felt (nor he) he was doing therapy. We talked and I believe I helped him more than he helped me. He NEVER said anything personal about himself. I picked it up and talked about it indirectly. God/Mother Nature/Universe has given me gift that I can fell people and know them with out them telling me. This person from the day one was a strange, strong feeling. I stopped going because it wasn’t right to use an excuse to see and talk to someone I wasn’t looking at as a therapist from the day one!!! I should have stopped going after the first appointment, I know. But in my human, silly mind I was fighting with my gut feeling because there was no proof!!! The was between mind and heart never stops!!! I am a very different individual. I even asked him on our third session, if he knows or met anyone like me? It took him 3 minutes to respond with a NO answer!!! He has been doing this for 15 years and he is VERY good at what he does. IF he wasn’t good I had nothing to worry about. Financially he is set so he only does this because he loves helping people. I care enough not to endanger his position and ethical enough to stay away. Two years is a very long time!!! One can have a child and that child in two years is walking, talking and more…… People’s lives have changed in a second. Mine has many times……………..

    Thanks for replying

     
  • At 9:48 AM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Anonymous: A friend of mine, a clinical psychologist, read your comments and emailed me the following. While these are not my words, they are my sentiments. In the meantime, she gave me permission to post this on her behalf.

    'You have fallen in love with your therapist. Join the club. In a way,it is like falling in love with your mother: it is natural and expected. The question you raise is "Can I take this love outside the therapy room, if I wait long enough?" and while various psychological organ-izations have different rules, the reasons why there are rules are
    what I'd like to address. The rules are there to protect your therapy. You say that you were not in dire need of therapy when you went, and that may be so. However, you have developed a deep attachment to your therapist, which is a special bond you now want to transform. What you
    risk is great: If it fails, as most love relationships do, you have ruined the opportunity to return to your beloved therapist in the future, when your need for therapy is greater, and you are left having to find another therapist who may not understand the nature of that prior bond.

    You have given no indication in your letter whether your therapist
    returns your feelings for him. If he were as dedicated to his craft as you say, I doubt he would seriously consider your invitation to change the nature of the relationship, for the reasons I've stated above. He will know that the relationship with you has begun on an inherently uneven footing, and he has the decided advantage. As tempted as he might be, you place him in a difficult position by asking."

    Written by Peak Shrink at PeakOilBlues.com

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you.

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Out of curiosity do these rules still apply if the therapist is still in training/without an official licence?

     
  • At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Extenze Pills said…

    Perhaps they are beginning to look at their sexual orientation. They may recently have begun to work on their sexual abuse history.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home