Other Side of the Couch

Welcome to a blog that aims to be full of insightful ramblings from a licensed psychotherapist, with a specialty in sex therapy and marriage and family therapy. It is my hope that this blog will be of interest to people in therapy, people contemplating therapy, people contemplating being therapists, people about to be therapists and people who already are therapists!

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Single Therapist

I have a truly wonderful friend, who is a licensed psychologist and a neuropsychologist and who has several professional specialties, one of which is interviewing inmates and then writing forensic reports for these incarcerated felons. She spends more time visiting high security prisons than anybody I know, but truly enjoys the work and has fascinating stories to tell of what it's like in prison. My friend is beautiful, intellligent, funny, generous, fascinating and sexy. She's also a buddhist, Italian born ("Roma!")....and she's single and has been for a long time. I look at her and think that it's nothing short of a crime that she's SO single. My spouse and I are currently having work done on our home, and have a fabulous woman carpenter doing the work for us. While I was busy in my study, the carpenter was in and out, painting closets, caulking holes, plastering, painting and generally beautifying our house. I told her about my friend, and asked if she had any ideas for a blind date for my friend? After chatting for a few minutes, the carpenter asked what my friend did for a living. "She's a psychologist," I replied. "Ah, well," said the carpenter, "that's your problem right there! People shy away from being involved with them! Intrigued, I asked her why. "Everybody thinks they're crazy!" said the carpenter with great conviction. No further information was forthcoming from the carpenter. But her reply has intrigued me. I can see why it would be challenging to be romantically partnered with a therapist. If the rest of them are anything like me, I just can't seem to shut off my brain. Even if I'm not saying therapist kinds of things, I'm definitely thinking them. I can't be the only therapist who has to constantly stop him or herself from jumping in with an annoyingly empathic or supposedly insightful comment. I do censor myself, I promise. But it's a hard habit to break.

I have several friends (and clients) who are single and they tell horror stories of what they go through in their search for their mates. Of course, to off-set that, I have countless friends (and clients) who are in relationships that give them grief and misery and who question their participation in coupledom almost daily.

But back to why it's scary to be in a relationship with a therapist.

I think this deserves a Top Ten List. Anybody care to help me compile one? I’ll get things started.

10. We over-analyze everything.

Any takers for #9?

9 Comments:

  • At 6:12 AM, Blogger JBinNH69 said…

    Here's a stab at #9: It's more about the person and not the therapist. People are often not fully in control or aware of their emotional responses to the various stimuli in life. Most responses are about "ME" and not society at large. Most responses are about "how YOU upset ME, rather than the ACTION that upset ME" or how YOU please ME rather than the wonderful things you do. Therefore most of us aren't able to be truly objective (or honest) with others or ourselves. Being with a therapist in a partnership may cause some intimidation for these reasons. Will my every response be analyzed? Is my every response appropriate and justified. Will the therapist try to change ME? This later statement is likely a valid fear. Therapists often help us to self-identify ourselves, why wouldn't your partner want that from their partner to help enrich the relationship? In summary # 9 is "It's all about ME!".

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger Medicoglia, RN said…

    been trying to figure out how to phrase it, this is the best I can come up with...

    #8. Sometimes I just want to be passive-agressive.

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Top 10 Signs You're Dating a Psychologist

    10. Your car has a bumper sticker that reads PSYCHOLOGIST DO IT WITH UNDERSTANDING

    9. You awake in the middle of the night to a tape repeating, "This time it's true love... This time it's true love..."

    8. You get an electric shock every time you leave the toilet seat up.

    7. Everything he/she says sounds interesting but has no practical value.

    6. A trip to any fast food joint always results in ketchup-and-napkin Rorschach tests.

    5. After you fall down the stairs, he/she asks "How does that make you feel?"

    4. Instead of a goodnight kiss, he/she says, "Looks like our time's about up".

    3. Win one lousy game of Nintendo and suddenly you're narcissistic with blatant passive/aggressive tendencies.

    2. During arguments calmly says, "What I hear is that you can't stand my overly rational, Spock-like approach, and that you feel I should have the stick removed from by butt.

    Is that correct?"

    and the Number 1 Sign You're Dating a Psychologist...

    1. He/she keeps saying "I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with your

    reinforcement schedule."

     
  • At 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    im a male. and im a therapist. i think that can be more intimidating for women (as compared to if a woman was the therapist) for various reasons. some sort of an interaction effect whereby its more intimidating for woman dating a male therapist as compared to the other way round.

     
  • At 10:20 AM, Blogger Donna said…

    I love the Top 10 list that "anonymous" posted! Very funny!

     
  • At 7:53 AM, Blogger Raine said…

    The top then is hilarious and anonymous comment brought up what I think is a major issue. Its about power. I think alot of people feel in general that therapists have some "mystical power" over them and they do not want to have that in a relationship. A patients role in therapy is particularly vulnerable feeling one and most people are probably unable to get away from that feeling and to seperate themselves from that mindset when considering a romantic relationship with a therapist. Basically they afraid of givng up their power.

     
  • At 6:24 AM, Blogger Dori said…

    I would be happy to date a psychologist! I'd be unnerved by the idea that he might have some kind of psychic XRay vision, and see right through me before I'm ready to divulge much, but I'd assume that he's caring and self-aware and a good listener, and those are qualities I look for.

     
  • At 12:03 PM, Blogger The Little Student... said…

    Love the top ten list, I am a graduate student in clinical psych and have been doing therapy for only a few years. However, I must say that it is very very difficult to "turn it off"

    Thanks for making me laugh

     
  • At 12:33 AM, Anonymous britishessays.co.uk said…

    terminate these relationship immediately!!! Thanks for dragging out of your "clients" this story. I will be more attentive now with the therapists!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home