Other Side of the Couch

Welcome to a blog that aims to be full of insightful ramblings from a licensed psychotherapist, with a specialty in sex therapy and marriage and family therapy. It is my hope that this blog will be of interest to people in therapy, people contemplating therapy, people contemplating being therapists, people about to be therapists and people who already are therapists!

Friday, October 06, 2006

Gay (but not telling!)



Dear Jassy:

I gather that, judging from all the various gay and lesbian sites your name and professional contact information turns up on, you are gay and lesbian friendly. So, I'm taking the risk of sending you an email about a problem that I have. I ask only that you not publish my name and/or email address.

I'm 29 years old, and good looking in a wholesome, preppy way, athletic and toned. I went to an Ivy League school, have an MBA and recently got engaged to a really nice girl. So far, so good, right? The problem is that I'm pretty sure that I'm gay. I've had what you could call "illict" (sic) affairs since I was an early teen - things that went beyond the usual "circle jerk" at summer camp. I've dated women alongside my activities with guys, mostly for a front. The main reasons for this is that my family is very homophobic. I am making a very good living, but also have a trust fund which provides me with an excellent cushion. I live in Manhattan, and own my very small condo outright. If my parents knew that I was gay I'm pretty sure that they would cut off my trust fund, so I don't intend to tell them. I don't tend to "date" men, preferring just to pick up guys at bars after-hours. I would never take them back to my place, because I wouldn't want to run the risk of bumping into my fiancee. I'm not seeing this as a major problem, because I'm not interested in settling down with another guy - it's out of the question. My fiancee is a good person. We have a so-so sex life (I don't think she's that into sex, actually) that seems to keep her happy, so I'm guessing that I'm not doing anything wrong by having guys on the side. (I always practice safe-sex). What do you think?

"Gay On The Side"

*****************************

Dear Mr. Gay on the Side:

Yes, I am most definitely gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and intersex (GLBTI) friendly. I also consider myself to be a "sex positive" psychotherapist, not judgmental or critical about sexual practice that doesn't harm, hurt or otherwise screw with people's emotional and/or physical well-being. So I have to admit that part of me thinks that this email has to be some sort of prank, because I can't really believe that you're serious. I've been sitting staring at the computer screen just dumbfounded, not knowing how to respond. How on earth to respond? I've started replying to your email on several occasions, but have been unsure how to approach your question. Do I present as non-judgmental, which is my normal way of being and feeling in the world ? Do I keep my opinions to myself and be empathic with your situation? So, my response to you is being written as a human being who happens to be a psychotherapist. This is my opinion based only on what you've told me, and it is most definitely not therapy.

What you describe is wrong on so many levels, I barely know where to start. So while I am GLBTI friendly and affirming, I don't find myself feeling very friendly towards you and here's why.

You are telling me that you are a closeted gay man, who likes his affluent lifestyle. As a way of maintaining this lifestyle, you have become engaged to an unfortunate young woman, against whom you commit numerous infidelities, in order to maintain a veneer of heterosexual respectability so that your parents don't financially disinherit you. You have sex with her periodically but obviously not very good sex given that she "isn't that into sex actually" (and people usually want to have sex if it's the kind of sex they want to have, buddy!) and it is your intent to continue with this lifestyle?

It seems to me that you are not the one with the problem.

Your fiancee is the one who has the problem. And that problem is you!

I implore you to consider breaking this relationship off now before you cause any great emotional damage to the young woman to whom you are engaged. She deserves better. If you are under any illusion as to the moral and ethical wrongness of what you describe, take your email (and my reply) to any other psychotherapist and see what they tell you. I also suggest that you look under the word "
Sociopathy" in the dictionary and see what you come up with. Your complete lack of empathy or self-awareness would indicate you might have a problem.

Jassy

Note to readers of this blog: For any homophobes reading this, sociopathy is NOT any more prevalent in the GLBT population than in the heterosexual population. This man's behavior is not because he's gay. He appears to have a limited capacity for empathy and caring, that is nothing to do with his sexual orientation and smacks of a personality disorder.

7 Comments:

  • At 7:43 PM, Blogger Medicoglia, RN said…

    Jassy,
    what is really sad about this is I bet he can't even see that it's wrong...but if it was women he was picking up in bars, THEN it would be cheating on his fiance!

    Sera

     
  • At 8:47 AM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Sera, yes the whole story is sad. But as I sad in the response, the person who will be most hurt here is his fiancee who stands to lose everything. Plus, numerous infidelities mean that he is a ticking timebomb for sexually transmitted infection. And I'm not just thinking HIV.

    I hope that he bails on the relationship with her soon, and saves her long-term hurt. People who are anti-social (and I consider his behavior antisocial behavior) don't tend to have much awareness (or even care) about the impact their behavior has on others. They are primariy concerned with their own hedonistic satisfaction.

     
  • At 9:50 AM, Blogger Medicoglia, RN said…

    I couldn't seem to get this post out of my head last night...I kept coming back to the same thought and I'm glad to see your response here already because my thought is the same. His comment about safe sex kept popping into my head. Picking up multiple one night stands in bars is NOT safe sex! Regardless of sexual orientaion. Condoms are effective...to a point. But they break, tear, come off, are used incorrectly etc. Honostly, I don't really care about the consequences to the emailer, but the consequences for his fiance could be at best extremely hurtful and at worst, deadly. There are also consequences for the men he picks up...I doubt he tells them he is engaged, does not intend to come out and that he picks up multiple partners! That is not fair or safe for them either. I live in the "gay mecca" of California...well, just north of it but our area is gay resort haven, and I know many, many gay men and myself am a lesbian (as I'm sure you already figured out!); and I don't know one single gay man who would be pleased to find out they had "hooked up" with someone like this. In fact, they would be quite angry and hurt by it...they want a relationship, not someone who is just using them and will never call after that one night stand. And they DON'T want a disease!

    Sera

     
  • At 5:19 PM, Blogger My Own Woman said…

    One of the things that pains me about this man's situation is that this man's parents will never be able to "know" him as he really is. They will never be able to share with their son his thoughts, ideas, and attitudes about life...about his life and his desires. He will never know if they will accept him as he is or is he just assuming that they will not. In not allowing them into his "closet", perhaps they will lack one of the fundamental things that make him.....him. I guess I'd want to know my child through and through. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Most of the time, a parent's love is unconditional. PFLAG suggests that you should give parents take twice as long to process the information as it took you to process the information in your own mind. Please, keep in mind that your parents may miss out on an entire life that they may have actually enjoyed and embraced knowing about you.
    You are their son, perhaps letting them know you wouldn't be such a bad idea; but you know them much more than I. All I do is sit back in the security of my chair and give my opinion..... and as we all know ... opinions are like buttcheeks, everyone has them. (Yes, that was a modified saying.)

     
  • At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As someone who has experience with this first hand, I'm just horrified by this letter. Wow. That's all I can really say. The guy really needs to get a grip and face up to the facts, and let his poor fiancee move on with her life.

     
  • At 8:31 AM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Sera, your points are well made. There are many people who are quite happy to hook up for one night, as long as it's clear that this is what they were seeking in the first place. I have many concerns about sexually transmitted infections and the risk of this for this man's fiancee.

    MyOwnWoman, yes, PFLAG is a great resource for parents and this guy's parents are being denied the opportunity to know their son in a really deep-down meaningful way. I am assuming that when this gets to be MORE meaningful than his inheritance, he may take the risk to show himself fully.

    Ben, his fiancee needs all the empathy she can get! I hope that he gets to the point where he can be honest with her and let them both move on with their lives.

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

Post a Comment

<< Home