Other Side of the Couch

Welcome to a blog that aims to be full of insightful ramblings from a licensed psychotherapist, with a specialty in sex therapy and marriage and family therapy. It is my hope that this blog will be of interest to people in therapy, people contemplating therapy, people contemplating being therapists, people about to be therapists and people who already are therapists!

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Humility

Cleaning my own office, waiting room and rest room keeps me humble. Dori in the office "suite" next door tells me that she hired a fabulous cleaning service and says she can pass their number on to me. Trust me. I'm tempted - I've toyed with the idea of hiring a cleaner from time to time since being in private practice. But, readers, you couldn't swing a cat in my office space (where on earth did that expression come from?) and despite being irritated by the fact that I not only have to clean my house, I also now have to clean my little office unit, I still can't bring myself to hire a cleaner. How lazy would a person have to be?

For a start, the actual therapy office is small - maybe 12' square - and the waiting room and restroom are almost one and the same, amounting to probably no more than 10 square feet . When there are patients waiting in the wait room and another patient wants to use the bathroom, they practically have to sit on each other's laps to get past each other. It's very, well, intimate to say the least. I have a sound machine in the waiting room which is turned up as high as possible, but keeping the space private is challenging at times, and having a cleaner here, despite the fact that my files are under lock and key, would exacerbate that challenge. For example, my phone has caller ID, so if the cleaner was in there alone, he/she would be able to see who was calling in. There's nothing that identifies client's names and addresses on my desk at night, but I imagine scenarios whereby the cleaner might forget to lock the door on their way out, leaving my files vulnerable to break-ins. So, thus far, no cleaner.

I am, however, no stranger to house and office cleaning. When I lived in London I put myself through business school (long story for another time) by working for a cleaning company. In fact, a little known fact is that I used to clean Elton John's press flat in Central London. (It was on North Audley Street, not far from my college which was on South Molton Street at the time - but has since closed down.) And yes, he was there once or twice, in bed. But we never formally met. (The "help" was kept away from the celebrity clients!)

When my daughter was first born, I was young and newly married and didn't want to put her in childcare, so took her with me to several cleaning jobs that I had. One was for a loud, raucous Italian family called the Manzi family, whose patriarch was a successful "punk rocker" and was one of the movers and shakers behind the record label, Stiff Little Fingers. The family was turbulent, tormented and miserable and I befriended their 14 year old daughter, Silvana, who would spend hours at our flat, playing with the baby, and complaining about how her parents didn't understand her! I often wonder what happened to Silvana.

The other cleaning job was for a woman in her late 40's (which seemed incredibly old to me at the time) who, along with her husband, performed cabaret acts at local nightclubs. She had white shag rugs throughout the whole house and my then 5 month old daughter would lie on a blanket in the middle of the floor while I literally raked patterns in the rug, according to specified designs by the cabaret singer. When she was particularly pleased with my "work" she would tip me in pot roast. Yep, you can't make this stuff up. Oh, and I was a vegan at the time, so you can imagine that this went down well! Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I would pass the pot roast onto my grateful friend, Dina, also a young newly married mother whose son, Christo, was born at the same time as my daughter and in the same hospital ward at the Whittington Hospital (named after Dick Whittington, Lord Mayor of London, immortalized by the nursery song of the same name) in Islington, London.

Since then, I have cleaned many apartments, many offices and swore that I would never hire a cleaner. "If you can't clean your own house," I was known to pontificate, "then your house is too big!" I've softened a little in my old age and often suggest hiring cleaners to over-worked, stressed-out parents who can afford it. And, when my daughter was trying to find a way to supplement her meager salary as a Preschool Teacher, we hired her to clean our house twice a month for twice the going rate.

So, back to the issue of my office. I guess I'll continue to clean it myself. There's something about being responsible for vacuuming, dusting and cleaning the restroom that is soothing. Besides which, for reasons that I cannot figure out, it really does keep me humble. And that's not such bad thing.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:46 AM, Blogger Dori said…

    Totally understand about all the reservations, of course, but it would cost very, very little to get our cleaners to clean another room. They are super, super kind and thorough and come once a month, on a Saturday, as not to disturb anyone/thing. Just something to keep in mind ...

     
  • At 5:37 AM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Dori, still thinking about it. There's something about the fact that I'm the business owner/tenant that makes it more my "job" in some way. Like if I was working in an office, hired by somebody else, it would not feel like my responsibility. On some level, it's a way that I "take care of" my patients. Like I said, it's complicated and I don't understand all the reasons. But I like to be in touch with the fact that I have hardworking and humble roots, and that this remains true for me. I'm still thinking about this, so if I capitulate and hire your cleaners, you'll be the first to know!

     
  • At 6:30 AM, Blogger JBinNH69 said…

    Don't fret over your reservations so much! I fully understand the privacy and security issue. While I don't maintain an office where I may see clients, my home does double as an "office away from the office". Being one employed in information technology (IT) I do perhaps take things to a bit of an extreme in some people's eyes. I, however, feel that I am carefully reserved. To complicate matters worse as you well know, I work in government IT, therefore requiring intense security as I can access a plethora of government data (some very sensitive)from the comfort of my computer desk, recliner, deck, essentially anwhere in my house. Because of this I am a security nut. All data communications in my home have to pass through believe it or not four hardware based firewalls, and a software firewall on the client computer(s). All local drive shares are disabled within my local network while remotely accessing remote government systems via an encrypted secure Virtual Private Networ tunnel. When doing the same from my latop even my local wireless traffic is encrypted with 256 bit encryption. Only registered wireless devices are allowed to access my wireless network.This may sound paranoid? However, just as George Orwell's 1984 depicted "Big Brother" as eavesdropping on all our of communications, so are many hackers in fact are, as well as our government officials all in the name of the "War On Terror". Because of all of this I, too, have issue with an outsider cleaning my home or being in my home in my absence. To safe guard matters I NEVER retain data at my home. All data is stored remotely. In the unlikely event of theft or break in I will not appear on the front page of a periodical with caption of "Government Worker Computer Theft Results In Inappropriate Data Disclosure". Sometimes with as many as three PC's connected at a time I can't take security too seriously. So I can identify! Plus I am a bit of an anal neatnik, as everything has to be JUST SO. I do have normal clutter (personal therapy to feel 'normal' like everybody else..lol). So for now I alone clean my home and take pride in it! Have a great day all.

     
  • At 5:18 AM, Anonymous http://www.paperwritingservice.ninja/ said…

    The small room demands the air ventilation, otherwise it may end up with the productivity decrease, as it is in our office! Do not let the atmosphere let you into the working despair!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home