Other Side of the Couch

Welcome to a blog that aims to be full of insightful ramblings from a licensed psychotherapist, with a specialty in sex therapy and marriage and family therapy. It is my hope that this blog will be of interest to people in therapy, people contemplating therapy, people contemplating being therapists, people about to be therapists and people who already are therapists!

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Starbucks Addict

My office is in a brick-fronted professional building perched in between two small parking lots. On one side is Starbucks, and on the other is Dunkin' Donuts. It's a veritable Java stand-off. I believe I've mentioned before that I'm a hard-core Starbucks frequenter, so much so that when I walk through the door, the manager calls out my coffee drink ("Double tall, non-fat, extra-hot latte for Jassy!") to the "Barista" working the espresso machines. There is a delightful young woman called Jessie who works at the Starbucks next to my office. She has sandy-red hair, and a very vampish, punky pair of red-rimmed spectacles. I don't know much about her other than the fact that she is very close to her mum and that both she and her mother see each other as often as they can given their geographical challenges (I believe Jessie's mother lives down south.) Jessie is sunny, welcoming and friendly and I always get a kick out of seeing her. On the days when Jessie isn't working, my latte doesn't taste quite as good, and the experience of visiting Starbucks isn't quite as satisfying. Sadly, I don’t think she has any idea what a difference her sunny personality, friendly demeanor and upbeat character make to each 60 second transaction that is made across the Starbucks counter.

By the end of each day, the waste paper basket in my office is full of used Kleenex and Starbucks and Dunkin' Donuts paper coffee cups, and ditto clear plastic cups with straws poked through the lids. I hasten to say that only one of those Starbucks cups is mine - I'm strictly a one-cup-a-day gal. Each day I buy my latte, and drink it at around 11am (what we call "Elevenses" in the UK ) accompanied by a teeny, tiny sliver of cheese cake which I bring from home. As much as I detest the corporate conglomerates, I am absolutely hooked on my daily java fix, and Starbucks is infinitely preferable to me than the water-bewitched-and-coffee-begrudged liquid served up by Dunkin Donuts.

As much as I dislike intensely lining Starbucks' coffers, I equally intensely like my ritual of walking into the Starbucks before heading into my office, and I like to feel part of the "community" in and around my office, and see Jessie's cheerful self along with her other friendly associates. It can get a little isolating sitting day after day in my office, drapes closed to shield clients from inquisitive eyes, working intently with clients, so those visits to Starbucks play a part in my experience of working in Watertown.

Recently it hit me with a jolt (and this was without much caffeine in my system) that if I added up all those $3.36 lattes I imbibe throughout the year, I spend a whopping $1,226.40. I had been prepared to suck that up and just accept it as a fact of life. But I'm trying to think outside the box more in my life and it seems to me that my coffee purchases are a good place to start. So, I'm going to invest in an espresso machine. I think they cost about $200. This means that within one year, I will have an extra $1,000 in my savings account, which is nothing to be sniffed at. I'm always encouraging my clients to think in different ways about their lives, so the idea of saving money seems like a good one. But there are some things that not spending money on will not take care of. I would very much miss the regular contact I have with people like Jessie, as small as it is. I'm just another one in a long line of customers to Jessie and the other hard-working Starbucks folks, but I try to make a difference in every situation I'm in, whether it's an extra-friendly hello, or remembering their pet's name, the fact that somebody just came back from a vacation, or asking what else they do with their life when they're not working at Starbucks. Big changes often start with small gestures. For example, if you can stand up to the office bully in one small way, you can maybe start the process of standing up to a bossy, opinionated, bullying parent. If you can show interest in one person in a small way, maybe they feel more a part of the community around them. It’s a start. And yes, I know it’s not much but it is a very simple way of me maintaining a connection to the people in my small "community."

12 Comments:

  • At 4:35 PM, Blogger Raine said…

    I worked as waitress for many years and I want you to know that there is a good possibility that you are NOT " just another one in a long line of customers to Jessie and the other hard-working Starbucks folks" If they like you well enough to yell out your order the minute you walk in the door then you brightening their day also.

     
  • At 7:18 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Rasberrywillow: Thanks for your suggestion to go to Starbucks half as much! Hmm...now THAT might be a solution!

    Raine: I appreciated your comment mightily, and like the idea that I may brighten the day of the Starbucks folks too, no matter how briefly.

     
  • At 3:35 AM, Blogger JBinNH69 said…

    Jassy, rest assured that you have likely made a difference in the lives of the staff of Starbucks. All through high school I worked in a couple of restaurants in the Nantasket Beach area to help pay my tuition. One particular husband and wife couple has long stood out in my memory. Ingrid and Bernie were (at that time nearly 20 years ago)a retired Jewish couple in their 70's. Ingrid had been a fashion model in her native Germany and later Switzerland to where she had fled during the Third Reich (NAZI Germany/Adolf Hitler). There she met her husband, Bernie. Ingrid was the kind of customer who would give you a hug and kiss and tell you "now doint yuz verk so hard" and then with a German/Switz/American accent attempt an Irish brogue (I am more than half Irish) and say "and here's a fiver fer ya me lad..and top of the morning to ya", to which I'd respond with a much better attempt at a brogue "and the rest of the day to you".
    The "fiver" was indeed a five dollar bill, not a "high five" (however, both she and her husband would do that on days that they didn't give me a five dollar bill). They never had children of their own so they made it a point to be extra friendly to young adults and offer encouragement. Both knew of my family and wanted to help in little ways. The many little ways I help others is a lasting tribute to the little ways they helped me and others. Did either of them have a special order, you might ask? Why, yes! Bernie, albeit with Ingrid keeping a Kosher home, would order a side order of breakfast sausage links and a short glass of milk each morning. His "bride" (which he still referred to his wife after all of those years) would just nod her head in approval and offer a whimsical smile. Now there's a lasting role model for compassion, love, and compromise!

     
  • At 4:57 AM, Blogger Jassy said…

    JB, what a great story! Clearly that couple made an impression on you as a role model for how to conduct yourself in an intimate relationship, alongside the interest they showed in you as a person. And you're right...that is a fabulous model for "compassion, love and compromise!"

     
  • At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I went through the same thing last year. The wife and I were spending far far too much on the "fancy coffee drinks" so we bought a machine. I use it every day, and it was worth every penny. I highly recommend the Gaggia Carezza. Makes great espresso. I ordered it from here: http://www.wholelattelove.com/Gaggia/carezza.cfm
    I don't work for the company, but they're great, and the machine is great, and I've already saved about $800 compared to where I was last year. Now I just blow all my money on fancy Monin syrups.

     
  • At 7:51 AM, Blogger Medicoglia, RN said…

    Raine said what I was going to say. And you know...I firmly believe you brighten the day of those starbuck's employees...you brighten the day of your blog readers, so how could you not do that in person? ;)

    The espresso machine idea is something my partner and I did. We use it almost daily, but somehow it just isn't as good as starbuck's.

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Ben, thanks for the recommendation for an espressor machine. I've looked around online and I'm going to buy one this week. Seems like most of the other reviewers feel positively about the Gaggia too. I was also glad to hear from a fellow Watertown blogger!

    Fallen Angels: Thank you so much for your friendly comments..I felt very warmly appreciated as I read them.

     
  • At 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jassy -

    Great post, I came here via h2otown, and was wondering if we had met at all, I speand far too much time in the starbucks in Cushing Sq (corner of Common and Trapelo).

    Anyhow - a good book on how to get one's financial life in order: _Smart Women Finish Rich_ by somebody or other Bach. He does a great job describing "The Latte Factor" among other things. I have no affiliation, just think it has great recommendations on how to think about saving and money.

    Second - a way to feel better about spending so much time and $$ at Starbucks: They are one of the few casual employment companies out there that treat thier employees well benefit-wise. I consider the extra expense of a Starbucks drink as a premium for health insurance and retirement savings for people like your barista Jessie....

    I like corporate responsibility when it improves the lives of the people they have working on the line, and hey - Starbucks does that well. (Again, no affiliation.)

    Best regards,
    Laura

     
  • At 9:16 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Laura: We probably have met, or at least bumped into each other inline. We frequent the Cushing Square Starbucks at the weekend, mostly with our daughter and granddaughter in tow. If you hear a naughty giggle, and a British accent, feel free to introduce yourself to us. We are VERY friendly!

     
  • At 4:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I love coffee. After marriage, My wife suggest me to use Gaggia Carezza espresso machine to make perfect coffee then we purchased Gaggia Carezza machine. Really, this is perfect.

     
  • At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do you need LOAN?if yes contact contact MJKLOANSLIMITED @ (MJKLOANM@YAHOO.COM)

     
  • At 8:58 PM, Anonymous MJK LOAN said…

    Do you need LOAN?if yes contact contact MJKLOANSLIMITED @ (MJKLOANM@YAHOO.COM)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home