Other Side of the Couch

Welcome to a blog that aims to be full of insightful ramblings from a licensed psychotherapist, with a specialty in sex therapy and marriage and family therapy. It is my hope that this blog will be of interest to people in therapy, people contemplating therapy, people contemplating being therapists, people about to be therapists and people who already are therapists!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Being Scared Of Spiders Sucks

I've been scared of them since I was about 8 years old, and I've tried every therapy known to humans in an attempt to overcome my phobia. My parents became creative at thinking up reasons for the sudden appearance of a never-before-seen phobia, but none of their reasons ever fit, and I haven't ever come up with a good enough reason of my own. Be that as it may, I went from an active tomboy who lived her life outside in the fields, to a child who wouldn't sit under a tree, on the grass or walk through fields in case spiders were to (a) drop on me (b) walk across me or (c) attach to me. Beginning at the age of 14 through to the present, I have endured (a) hypnosis (b) Cognitive Behavioral therapy (c) EMDR (d) Exposure therapy (e)myriad versions of "talk" therapy and (f) endless hours researching spiders, learning about spiders and trying to figure out why oh why I'm so darn scared of them. I am sad to report that I have no great insights. I have heard that the Anxiety Disorders Clinic at Boston University has some success with phobias, but it involves allowing them to set spiders free in your immediate vicinity and I'm not in any great hurry to agree to that torment, and pay for the privilege to boot!

However, over the years I'm a little less petrified than I was - there was a time when I would gag and/or faint if a spider came near me. I can now, on occasion, (and I'm not proud of this as I hate to harm any living thing, no matter how lowly) squish them if the clump of papertowels is big enough to "protect" me from the possibility of the spider escaping using its super-arachnid strength and leaping on me with its fangs out. (I didn't say this was a rational phobia, did I?) I can perform this cruel feat as long as the spider is not above me on the ceiling, or at least overhead in some fashion, and as long as it's not too furry and not too big. (Too big would be over half an inch across including legs, and dear readers even typing the word "legs" makes me feel like gagging.)

The reason I feel compelled to share about my spider phobia is that instead of getting an early night as I had intended, I was driven from the bedroom because a large spider crawled up the back of the bed and neither my spouse nor I were able to catch the wretched thing. One abortive attempt to catch the nimble critter ended up with the eight-legged horror dropping kamikaze-like from the ceiling onto my bedside table, from whence it disappeared into the night. We spent about half an hour looking for it to no avail. So, here I sit, trying to calm my nerves by writing about my phobia.

"How come you're a therapist and scared of spiders?" I hear you say. Good question. I've no idea. I'm pretty savvy about some things and a complete idiot about others. If you are having sexual problems, parenting problems, coming out issues, (and indeed just about anything related to sexual orientation) anxiety, depression and just plain feeling crummy, I can probably help.

If you're scared of spiders, forget it. But if you hear of a good therapist, be sure to let me know, okay?

7 Comments:

  • At 6:18 AM, Blogger Medicoglia, RN said…

    I share your phobia of, "those things"...can't even type the word. My reaction to seeing one or even having it suggested to me that someone else might have seen one (my partner doesn't announce anymore, she just investigates and removes), is to freeze, turn stark white and start shaking...then I throw up. Not a pleasant sight or experience. I do know the cause of the phobia...I don't know if I will ever overcome it.

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Blogger Honeybee said…

    My big manly fiance is terrified of spiders. They squick him out. I'm not a big fan, but if they're in a quiet corner I'll let them be. I have become the household squisher of insects.

    My phobia is flying bugs, mostly moths etc that are semi-large. I don't like them flying around my head. Eew.

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger Dori said…

    I'm ludicriously mouse-phobic. Give me spider any day--but living among 23 Splenda-fed mice?! Unthinkable!

     
  • At 12:28 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Fallen Angels: You and I are prime candidates for the Anxiety Clinic at Boston University. I've seen videos of people walking in just as scared as us, and leaving with the ability to handle the 8 legged darlin's. Yeah... and we'll be signing up for that when? I'll keep you posted. Honey Bee, I'm glad to hear that you are a supportive arachnid warrior. I am similarly blessed to have a spousal bug squelcher, and thank my lucky stars that S. is so willing to help out with removals.

    Dori, I'm not at all scared of mice. Just call on me when you need some rodent assistance!

     
  • At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have you ever tried to embrace your phobia instead. Besides, it's not really a big deal to be afraid of spiders. Some of them are poisonous. This is not an unrealistic phobia by any means. Let us take all human fears and box them up and call them disorders. No! It is a natural primative reaction for you to be afraid of something that can endanger your life. The trick isn't in not being afraid of them... the trick is knowing what to do when you are around them. That is the real cure. Forget about what everyone says "arachnophobia" etc. Next time you see your therapist ask him/her if they have anything they fear, and then diagnose them and see how they feel. Everyone has fears, fears are normal. If it was an irrational fear, such as being afraid of the color yellow, then you'd have a problem. But being afraid of things that can endager your safety are not irrational. Learn how to be afraid of the spiders, but also how to act and react around them! Don't worry about whether or not you fear them. You may find the fear eventually dissipate. But you have to embrace the fear first.

     
  • At 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I totally understand where your coming from. I have been scared of them since I was 14 years old. I'm so terrified that I completely black out and loose it. They don't just scare me in the day though, they have invaded my dreams as well. I frequently will have spider nightmares where I wake up screaming, sweating, or even running across the room. I sleep walk already, so sometimes I will wake up to find myself trying to escape from an imaginary spider by throwing myself into the wall. I wish I knew how to stop the dreams and the intense fear. I can't even look at a picture of a spider without sweating through my clothes and hyperventilating. I'd love to get help, but nothing that involves real spiders being near me, I honestly don't know how I would handle that...

     
  • At 3:56 AM, Anonymous JP said…

    Get yourself a Bug Buster, its a very good and humane spider catcher

    They are on amazon but you can get yours direct from buyabugbuster.co.uk

    Well recommended!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home