Other Side of the Couch

Welcome to a blog that aims to be full of insightful ramblings from a licensed psychotherapist, with a specialty in sex therapy and marriage and family therapy. It is my hope that this blog will be of interest to people in therapy, people contemplating therapy, people contemplating being therapists, people about to be therapists and people who already are therapists!

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Besotted with "Six Feet Under"


I've been turned on to the quirky, fabulousness of the HBO series (now defunct) "Six Feet Under," henceforth referred to as SFU. Thanks to the magic of Netflix, my current Big Love, I have been watching the series from the very beginning. While I didn't see it the first time around, I'm now onto Disc 2 of the Second Season (of which there are a total of 5 discs). With 4 seasons worth of discs to go (so, an estimated 20 DVD's still to plop through our mail slot) I'm in funereal heaven. As hokey as this sounds, I feel like I learn something important, either about the world or myself, with each episode that I watch. Some of the things that I've learned, feel like gems to slide into my back pocket which I will be able to produce when needed.

Watching the season also makes me realize how little thought I've given to the subject of death and dying. While I had rudimentary clinical training in grieving and loss, and have done a little reading of my own, I've lost very few people and I've never seen death, dying or a dead person up close. I've heard others accounts of seeing their dead relatives and loved ones, and these really stick with me. My oldest school friend lost her father when we were still in high school. I remember her describing how she leaned over him to look at him, and realized that his body was cold and like there was nobody in there. She said, "It's not like sleeping. He just was gone." This has obviously made an impact on me, because I remember it to this day. How on earth can somebody you love just be gone? It boggled my mind.

While I don't have anything deep and profound to say right now, particularly as it's Saturday morning and I'm at my desk, while my darling granddaughter bounces up and down on the daybed in my study with her new doll (a so-called "Groovy Doll" with pink streaks in her hair and matching sleeping bag!) one episode in particular stands out in my mind so far.

For those of you who have never seen SFU, it follows the relationships between members of a family whose patriarch has just died, and who are getting on with the business of trying not to screw up their lives while running a funeral parlor. Each episode begins with the death of an anonymous person, whose loved ones end up at the funeral parlor. One particular episode begins with the death of a baby. The normally un-flusterable embalmer at the funeral parlor, a handsome young man called Frederico, finds himself frozen and unable to embalm the baby (his own wife is pregnant with their second child). As the plot unravels, one of the protagonists makes the point that we have words to describe a woman who has lost her husband (widow), a word to describe a husband who has lost his wife (widower) and a word to describe a child whose parents have died (orphan) but there is no word to describe a parent who has lost a child. This event is quite literally unspeakable, with no words to describe the trauma of the loss of a child's life. As somebody who loves to read, who relishes words and how they roll off your tongue, the idea that a human event, a human experience, cannot even be described froze me. But it also helps me to understand why people grieving the loss of children have such a difficult time finding places to grieve thoroughly. As a culture, we cannot even come up with words for them to use as descriptors. Even listening to people's grief is unspeakable to us in Western cultures. I wonder if other cultures have words to describe the state of having lost a child. Anbody know?

6 Comments:

  • At 12:40 PM, Blogger JBinNH69 said…

    Honestly, I don't know if other cultures have words to describe the loss of a child. All I do know is that the idea of the loss of a child is truly unspeakable, which is probably why in the English language we have no word for it. Having studied many years of Latin and Attic Greek (ancient) there is no such descriptive term in either language. This would lend one to believe that even the ancients found such a loss to be as well unspeakable.

    While having never had the opportunity to be a biological parent I have had the opportunity to be a step parent, as well as a surrogate daddy of sorts to an infant whom had come to call me "Daddy" during the 3 1/2 years that his mother and I were involved. Our relationship (mother and I )ended on less than amicable terms. I posses a strong desire to remain in the child's life, as to me he is indeed my child. His mother aknowledges this and aknowledges penning me as "Daddy", yet has barred me from his life. Thus I have not seen him since the Saturday prior to Christmas 2004. In the months to follow I was grief stricken, as if a death had occured. I still deeply grieve this loss and still cry when I think of him. I honestly doubt I will ever heal from this loss. As cold as this may sound, knowing he is living and that I can't see him feels like a torture to me. Of course I want him to grow up and prosper and be fruitful, however, I long to be part of his experiences just like any other parent. I feel guilty about this. I feel as if this is a selfish feeling, though I want to selflessly provide for him through out his formidable years of growth.

    I am from a mixed family of "yours", "mine", and "ours" thus I learned at a very young age that family isn't who shares your DNA, it is those with whom you bond and share a "familiar" life with. Thus I contend that I remain "Daddy" to this child (now 5 years old). I hope he remembers me. I hope his memories are fond ones. I hope his mother has not altered his memories through malicious or contemptuous speaking. For that would be the MOST PAINFUL LOSS.

    Now that I am in need of a really good cry, I bid you all a peaceful day and much love.

    In closing I thank my current significant other for always being there for me. I thank her for loving me for me. I thank her for introducing me to some very caring people, inclusive of Jassy. I LOVE YOU, HON!

     
  • At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I never thought of that actually but I can understand why there would be no word for it because there are no words for when a child dies. I mean what do you even say..

    Dragon

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Blogger Medicoglia, RN said…

    My partner's sister lost her oldest son when he was 6 years old after a 5 1/2 year battle with a genetic disorder. She visits his grave on every holiday and his bday...and many other times throughout the year. 8 years later she still has his favorite cup. My grandmother lost a baby boy at 6 weeks old...he was born before my mother and she had named him Robert Jeffery. My younger brother named his second son Robert Jeffery and Grandma cried for hours...57 years later. There are no words, and I don't think the grieving is ever complete.

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    All the above comments reflect the paucity of language available to us to describe the loss of a child's life. JB, your story of the loss of the child in your life is very, very sad and there is nothing selfish about loving and grieving such a loss.

    Fallen, your grandmothers grief-stricken tears 57 years after the death of her child are testimony to the enduring grief that parents suffer at the loss of their children.

    Botanical girl, I can only imagine that the early settlers must have spent a great deal of time disassociating in order to handle the monumental loss of infant life in those days. Your description of the flat gravestones with no inscription other than "baby" is haunting.

    S-girl, I don't know what you'd say. But I know that giving words to and allowing grieving parents time to verbalize their loss will has to be crucial.

    Somebody once told me that on the day their child was born, it almost felt like they were being told, "Here, try and keep this little thing alive" and they felt that this was pretty much what being a parent was about for many, many years. My own granddaughter was a miracle child, surviving a traumatic pregnancy and born very prematurely. We didn't think she would make it. I remember standing next to the incubator looking down on her tiny, frail little body, sucking in my breath in wonderment at the tininess of her little frame, and also wondering how on earth she was going to be able to survive. On the exhale of that breath came the thought, "How will I survive if she doesn't live?" I quickly pushed that thought from my mind. It was even unthinkable and unspeakable.

     
  • At 10:01 AM, Blogger Dori said…

    I am also a HUGE SFU fan. The show is so very, very smart, and I remember this particular episode and Rico's pregnant wife's assertion that "some babies aren't meant for this world. This one [referring to her unborn child]is."

    SFU also addresses issues of sex and sexuality in a wonderful, matter-of-fact way. You have so much viewing pleasure in store!

     
  • At 6:16 AM, Anonymous Heather W said…

    Greatt reading

     

Post a Comment

<< Home