Other Side of the Couch

Welcome to a blog that aims to be full of insightful ramblings from a licensed psychotherapist, with a specialty in sex therapy and marriage and family therapy. It is my hope that this blog will be of interest to people in therapy, people contemplating therapy, people contemplating being therapists, people about to be therapists and people who already are therapists!

Monday, July 17, 2006

Good Things Come From Writing a Blog!

Lots of cool things happen when you have a blog.

Here are just a couple of the things that happened this week.

1. Out of the blue, I got an email from a guy called Jorge who works for a company called M80IM. (You can check them out at www.M80IM.com. I'm sorry but I haven't' yet figured out how to make these links disappear - Dori, could you give me a lesson next time I'm in my office?) He said that he had found my blog on Transamerica and he wondered if I would be interested in writing a review of his company's DVD called "Create Your Own Adventure: The Abominable Snowman." It's an interactive children's animated cartoon adventure , so children can create a unique adventure as the story unfolds by selecting different options and plot twists. I wrote back and said as flattered as I was to be selected for a free DVD and the opportunity to write a review for them, that it didn't seem that relevant to psychotherapy and the practice thereof. However, if he wanted to send me a DVD I would happily show it to my granddaughter. I was telling my friend Kathy about Jorge's email and the DVD this weekend, and we realized that, in retrospect the concept of this DVD is VERY relevant to the practice of psychotherapy. So, while I don't think I will be writing a straight review of the DVD, the concept of "creating your own adventure" is quintessentially what therapy is all about.

2. Interesting, cool people read the stuff I write and send me emails telling me fascinating things about their lives. For example, Ben over at 3mote.com emailed me and shared something of his life. As I have now become a regular reader over at 3mote.com, I'm very honored to have heard from him, plus he's a Watertown resident.

3. I received another email from a therapist I've never met before, who works as a home-based clinician and is interested in starting a small private practice. She wrote to me asking if I would be willing to either email, talk on the phone or meet in the person so that I could share some of my ideas about how to go about starting up a private clinical practice. We have an appointment to meet for coffee next week so that I can share some of my ideas with her.

4. My blog about Starbucks got picked up by a Watertown "town" site, so I feel like a Watertown celebrity!

5. Interesting people, themselves bloggers, post comments and so I get to be introduced to other people and their lives via their blogs.

6. My friends read my blogs periodically, particularly if we haven't seen each other in a while, and can keep up with parts of my life that way.

7. Some of my clients read my blog and make comments when I see them during the week. I like that it gives people a place to go to feel connected to their experience of therapy, even when they don't see me more than once a week.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I must agree blogs are pretty cool. Yours seems to get around quite a bit. I'm impressed. ;) It is a really unique way to see someone else and it very cool esp. if you know the person in real life. And you are helping out your fav starbucks location!

    I really enjoy being able to read other people blogs and see how they think and feel about things. I like to see they way they place their thoughts in writing and express them. It is all very interesting.

    I also like how blogs become this kind of community where everyone is interwoven. I saw your blog on a friend of mines fav blog lists so I came to check it out. When I first came to your blog you hadn't written on it for a long time but I read what was written and really enjoyed you style of writing. I would check in every now and then to see if you had returned and you eventually came back. I enjoy your blog and am happy that you are able to post again. :)

    Dragon

    O and thanks for your post on my blog I did show my T that stuff and it went well. :)

     
  • At 7:14 AM, Blogger Medicoglia, RN said…

    I think I'm the friend referrenced above! ;) *waves to Dragon*

    I have been pleasantly surprised by the "blog world". I have met a lot of new and interesting people and have reconnected with old friends. *waves at Dragon again*. The blog world seems to be much more wide open than chat rooms, which is where I used to interact with people. You won't find a T, Doctor etc in a chat room usually! ;)

    Sera

     
  • At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like the idea of my blog being a way for my friends to catch up. Who has time to send emails and call everyone you know these days? It's a sad commentary on the times, but hell, at least they know what's going on. Most of the time nothing really exciting is happening anyway, so who wants to sit and listen to me blather on about it anyway?

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Dragon, I'm so happy that things went well for you with your T, and also glad that you found my blog via Sera's blog. Sera, you're absolutely right that you won't find an "out" therapist in a chat room. People can share on their own terms via a blog, unlike chat rooms where you're fightin for air time.

    Ben, I have to say that as a therapist I hear a lot of people say that what happens in their life isn't that interesting. And, with very few exceptions (so few that I can't remember the last time) their lives are nearly always fascinating. Even if somebody said, "I sat and watched paint dry" it would be interesting to me. Why paint? What color was the paint? How did they make the decision to pick that color? If they didn't pick the color, how do they feel about applying somebody else's preferred color to their walls? How does the color make you feel? Does it change with the light? Which room was the paint in? Did they put the paint on the wall or was it somebody else's? What is their relationship with that person? What did they think of as they were sitting there?

    I understand the feeling of not being interesting - sometimes when I'm writing my blog I think "Will people actually want to read this?" - and then I remember my own experience of finding people endlessly entertaining and I have to believe that some of the things I do, think, say and experience have validity for other people too.

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ***waves to sera**

    I am facinated by people to and blogs are a great way to see them.

    Lisa thats a great reason. :D

    Dragon

     
  • At 5:50 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Lisa, however if you can blog it means that you can write, which means lyrics, baby, lyrics! (There are always OTHER people who will play what you pen.)

     
  • At 7:39 PM, Blogger Lisa said…

    Did the DVD ever arrive? I ask because I got a similar email offering me a DVD and I was wondering if it is a scam. I googled to try to find out if other people have actually rec'd anything from this company.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home