Other Side of the Couch

Welcome to a blog that aims to be full of insightful ramblings from a licensed psychotherapist, with a specialty in sex therapy and marriage and family therapy. It is my hope that this blog will be of interest to people in therapy, people contemplating therapy, people contemplating being therapists, people about to be therapists and people who already are therapists!

Friday, July 21, 2006

Everything's Coming Up.....

.....well, not roses...but flowers that look similar to Sweet Williams, in fuschia, pink, lavender and white. There was a very wonderful man at the plant stand where I bought them in Cambridge and he did tell me what the plants are called, but I have forgotten. Maybe somebody will recognize them and post a comment? I chose something simple (and, yes I admit it, cheap) to test out my window boxes again. If this fails and they are untimely ripped from their window beds, I will give up and take the window boxes down. But in the meantime, I can look out my window and see something other than my red convertible and oceans of concrete. What more can a gal ask for? I'll drive over with my camera at the weekend and take a photograph.

While planting the flowers (which I've previously relied on the spousal unit to do for me) I've had confirmed what I had often suspected which is that I am much less scared of spiders if I have gloves on my hands, particularly thick rubber gloves. I think I'm going to use this as a strategy for removing spiders outside of gardening situations. In any case, I found myself dunking my hands into the dried out soil already in the boxes to pull out old roots and knew even as I was doing this that there was a possibility of eight legged things, but continued regardless.

As I tell my clients, taking action is often better than taking no action at all, and I always feel better when I achieve something, no matter how small, to make my life feel happier. If there's a small, incremental step you can action to take back control of your life, it's the first step on the road to success. The flowerboxes give me happiness, but if vandals decide that the flowers are too offensive to remain, I will fill the inside of the office with flowers instead. As my father used to say, "Don't let the bah-stards get you down, dear!"

3 Comments:

  • At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great idea to just keep them on the inside.. Keep us informed on what happens to them. You have a red convertable?? Very cool. Convertables are fun! :)

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    I drove past my window boxes this morning just to check on them after a wild storm that we had here in Massachusetts last night. So far, so good! The flowers are still there, looking no worse for wear.

     
  • At 1:34 AM, Anonymous http://essayzwritingservice.online/ said…

    do not get down into despair, never ever! I believe everything is to go fine with you! Keep up!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home