Other Side of the Couch

Welcome to a blog that aims to be full of insightful ramblings from a licensed psychotherapist, with a specialty in sex therapy and marriage and family therapy. It is my hope that this blog will be of interest to people in therapy, people contemplating therapy, people contemplating being therapists, people about to be therapists and people who already are therapists!

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Watertown Window Boxes

For those of you not living and/or working in Watertown, Massachusetts, USA, my office is situated on Mount Auburn Street, a major thoroughfare for Watertown, running from Cambridge's famous Harvard Square all the way into the heart of Watertown Square. It's a quintessential American boulevard, meandering through wealthy Cambridge streets lined with mansions and fabulous, manicured gardens, past commercial zones littered with gas stations, supermarkets and local bars and VFW's, on into Watertown. Mount Auburn Street's Watertown beginnings are flavored with fabulous local grocery stores such as Kay's, friendly non-corporate coffee shops like Uncommon Grounds, wonderful local markets filled with fascinating foodstuffs and produce from all over the Mediterranean and beyond. Where else can you buy a set of tiny black and white polka dotted espresso cups hanging on their own delightful cast iron stand for under ten bucks!

Sometimes, when I am in between patients, I open the curtains and sit and watch the world walk by my window: Mothers with strollers and children chattering nineteen to the dozen; shambling men and women, talking to themselves and anybody who will listen to them, on day release from what I assume to be local assisted living facilities; groups of handsome, olive-skinned men talking animatedly in languages that I don't speak (I have rusty French and German, which have had years of dis-use) heading over to Starbucks for their morning/afternoon or evening coffee klatsches; gaggles of giggling schoolgirls, with low-slung jeans and high-strung belly shirts, proudly strutting their stuff; the whoosh of skateboards passing the window in a blur and Watertown seniors who appear to be in slow-motion alongside the hustle and bustle of the rest of the good citizens.

In the first year or so that I had this office, I proudly tended my window boxes. Beginning in early spring, I would plant them carefully. My name, phone number and credentials are on the window in Periwinkle Blue, so I chose flowers to complement the lettering: bright blue, lavender, fuschia and purple. Even with the curtains closed, I could see silhouettes of the dainty flowers waving in the breeze, splattering their fronds and shadows across the curtains. The flowers provoked constant comment from the other side of the window. Enthusiastic toddlers frequently tried to pick a flower, while their mothers, bracing for a tantrum, would try to entice them away from the window boxes: senior citizens on their slow stroll past my office, would often comment on the beautiful flowers; others, noticing the flowers, would then pass comment on the fact that there was a therapy office there that they'd never seen before and adolescent girls and boys alike would talk about my name ("Oooooooh! Do you think she's any relation to Justin?"). I could hear all this from the other side of the window.

Then the vandals struck.

I turned up at my office late last summer and somebody had ripped out all the flowers and left them, roots floundering, baking in the hot sun. Heart-sick, I tried to save some of them, but they could not be revived. I couldn't decide what to do. Plant more and risk them being vandalized also? Wait a while and then re-plant? I chose the latter. When October came, I planted Icicle Pansies, hoping that they would last through the early part of winter.

Vandals struck again, this time removing only half of the pansies from each window box.

So, this summer the window boxes are empty, just dried stalks of the Icicle Pansies remain and I haven't had the heart to put flowers in. I miss the attention and joy they attracted, and the color and beauty they provided for myself and others walking by my office. It's nearly the end of July, and I'm still trying to decide whether to risk planting flowers there. With my office situated in a commercially dense part of Mount Auburn Street, and therefore little landscaping, it was sweetly delightful to approach my office building in the morning, with the well-tended window boxes. The gay blossoms provided a colorful, optimistic counterpoint to the tarmac roads and concrete sidewalks. I may have to succumb and plant more.

10 Comments:

  • At 10:48 PM, Blogger Medicoglia, RN said…

    I think it is absolutely terrible that someone is pulling up your flowers!

     
  • At 2:22 AM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Fallen, after writing this blog yesterday, I went out and bought some beautiful flowers for the boxes. As soon as they are blooming, I will take a picture of them and post on the blog, okay? But yes, you're right, it was and is absolutely terrible that anybody would want to destroy something so beautiful.

     
  • At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi--just checking your site and thought-could it be the same VANDALS that strike at my garden? Vandals as in: opossums, squirrels, bunnies, and skunks searching for grubs? Or was it clearly damage made by humans? if it was, shame on them for making you give up beautifying your office.

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have you considered setting up a little webcam pointing out your office window? I know it sounds like a bit much, but maybe you could figure who or what is doing it.

     
  • At 2:08 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Ben, I hadn't thought of that. Hmm..well, I'm going to try flowers again and see what happens. Check the boxes next time you're at D'Angelo's!

     
  • At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That sucks. Yeah put up a web cam! That would be awesome. lol

    I think you should keep replanting. I know it seems like a waste of work and money but I'm sure it brings happiness to a lot of people and yourself included. (that sounded kinda fluffy for me but its true probably)Anyways good luck with the flowers.

    Dragon

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Dragon, thanks for the encouragement and see the posting above!

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Anonymous, I wouldn't mind a parade of possums, racoons and the like going past my window. In fact, those are the kind of vandals that I would happily live with. I think these were definitely human. It looked like a "drive-by yank" rather than animals foraging.

    I am happy to report that the flowers appear to be flourishing. (Although they looked a little limp today after a few very hot days in Watertown, MA. Nothing that gallons of cold water won't help with!

     
  • At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Y'know, I live on the corner of Palfrey and Spring Street off of Mt Auburn. I am sorry you'r boxes have been vandalized - you're so close the the Dunkin Donuts, I wonder if it's bored teens. Anyhow, a couple of years ago, one of my neighbors came out to her garden on Palfrey, not to find it vandalized, but to find that someone had carefully removed one of her flowering plants and stolen it!

    I cannot believe that people would do that. She was able to split the other planting and replace it, but we could not get over the audacity.

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Lauara:

    Many thanks for posting on my blog. Yes, I suspect bored teens also...but will unfortunately never know. I had thought of posting something on my window for people to see, along the lines of "These flowers gave many people joy. I hope that your destruction of them provided you with a much needed outlet for your disappointment, anger and rage. If you have any residual feelings left over that were not taken care of by the wanton destruction of my flowers, may I suggest therapy."

    However, I figured they might graduate to smashing my windows, so I just settled for re-planting them and turning the other cheek. I'm so sorry to hear of your neighbor's similar experience and I'm so glad that she was able to rescue some of her own feelings with another planting. And welcome to a neighbor..glad to have you read my blog, and hope that you keep coming. Have you lived in the neighborhood for long?

    Jassy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home