Other Side of the Couch

Welcome to a blog that aims to be full of insightful ramblings from a licensed psychotherapist, with a specialty in sex therapy and marriage and family therapy. It is my hope that this blog will be of interest to people in therapy, people contemplating therapy, people contemplating being therapists, people about to be therapists and people who already are therapists!

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

How Are Therapists Seen By Their Clients?

What Does a Client See When They Look At Their Therapist?

My friend, Kathy, is a great believer in people "living their life out loud." By this she means being as fully and truly yourself at any given moment as you can possibly be, neither trying to live up to somebody else's expectations of who or what you should do or be, nor dumbing down your own expectations of what is possible for you to achieve. Kathy is very good at living out loud, and I pride myself on doing a passable job most days. However, like most people, I have days when it's just hard to be a human being, unaffected by the opinions of others. But living out loud and being a therapist sometimes means that there's a conflict. One of the struggles, and paradoxes, I have is that since being a therapist in private practice I have lived less time in my life out loud than ever before, while I spend more time exhorting my clients to do just that - i.e. live in a way that is authentic and present, in a way that is true to themselves, and as honest as they can possibly be. I’m mindful that if too much of me, the therapist, and my life and history is in the room, there's no room for therapy to take place. It's a balancing act, as I've talked about elsewhere on this blog.


I guess the challenge for me in being a therapist lies partly in the ability to be myself, without being fully myself. This, believe me, is a kicker. It's not that my personality changes, it doesn't. That's a constant. But some of the things that I feel partially define me stay hidden. I'm aware that there are qualities that other folks (maybe even clients?) think I am defined by, and they don't define me at all. To start with I'm a zaftig, full-figured woman. I've ricocheted up and down the scales in my lifetime, trying to deny the biology of my hearty, Welsh peasant roots, but I'm 5'3" tall and have been told that I'm a dead ringer for a meatier Kathy Bates (although I've been known to quip that my driver's license photograph looks like an undercover Linda Tripp). I’m aware of the bias against large size folks in this culture, and the prejudices and stereotypes that are heaped on our heads and I’m conscious that this probably affects how some of my clients view me. I often recognize that people don’t talk about their own struggles with food and body image, probably because they fear offending me. I frequently have to reassure clients that it’s fine to talk about concerns about their own bodies and their eating habits – that I won’t snap and break if they do.

So what exactly does a client see when they look at their therapist? What markers are they looking for? Having spent time on either side of the therapy couch, I know that I want my therapist to be trustworthy, dependable, honest, respectful and respectable. It’s preferable if he or she isn’t driven to flighty impulses that might provoke unsettling changes in my therapy relationship with them, so it’s helpful if they are stable and reliable. I assume that these qualities are important for my clients too. But how can we tell? What criteria do we use to make our judgments?

For most clients, contact with their therapist is limited to 1 hour a week. During this time a therapist can present an image of calm, unflustered competence – an image, by the way, that their immediate family and close friends would frequently find at odds with the non-therapist personality that they live with or are friends with. However, therapists are only required to be able to pull this off in fifty minute chunks. It would be easy for a client to look at this magic trick and find themselves lacking, given that their “job” is to find a way to fall apart in extremely un-calm, flustering ways. A client may feel depressed and have not bothered to iron their clothes that week, while you sit there in neat, professional attire. Little do they know that the ironing basket is full to overflowing, you wore this outfit three days in a row because nothing else was ironed or picked up from the dry-cleaners – evidence of how overwhelming tasks of life can be, even for therapists. Our offices are vacuumed, dusted, our papers (probably) neatly piled up on our desks, filing cabinets with file drawers neatly labeled, the trappings of organization and functionality. When our clients look at these trappings, what are they deducing about us, about me, as a person and what is important for them about this deduction? Would it make a difference to them to know that I hadn’t vacuumed my house in two weeks, and that cat hair flies around like tumbleweed when the fans are on? And what would they do with that information? Would it be helpful, or harmful to their therapy? As a therapist, it’s helpful to know how our clients see us because sometimes it’s the unspoken assumptions that build invisible barriers between therapist and client. In normal daily life, we don’t necessarily take the risk of saying to our friend, “Your desk is so clean, I feel intimidated by it, and assume that all your life is so organized. I see you as impossibly competent, and fear that you won’t care about me, or want to be friends with me, because I’m so much less than what you are.” But this is exactly what you need to hear as a therapist. We need to know places where who we appear to be gets in the way of a client’s clinical process

Most of my clients have only the bare bones information about my life, and little beyond what feels therapeutically useful to share in their sessions and what they read here, on my blog. Clients are often left to guess a great deal at what my life looks like, based on how I look, my very limited office environment and what is expedient for me to share with them. Sometimes they have been known to talk about what they imagine about my life, how they think my home looks and how they think I spend my time. The life that they construct for me has a lot to say about them and their specific hopes and dreams, and often doesn't bear much resemblance to my real life. But it is a very useful jumping off point for a conversation about their thoughts and feelings about their relationship with me.

9 Comments:

  • At 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was in group for about 3 years and our therapist was always a big mystery to me. We once had a long discussion (in group) about what he was like outside of group. We each gave our personal takes on what he did and where he went. There were about 8 people in Group, so it took a while, but it was pretty amusing to see what people thought he was like. He sat there with a big grin on his face the entire time...and revealed nothing. I wanted to smack him!! But I understood.

     
  • At 7:41 PM, Blogger Medicoglia, RN said…

    I read this, this morning as I was waking up before heading out to the worst-ever-college class (I DO NOT recommend a core science in the summer session!). I thought to myself as I was heading out "I know ALOT about my T...". Throughout the day this post would come to mind and I realized...I actually know next to nothing about my T. I know she used to be a pre-school teacher, she has 2 kids, a boy and a girl that are my age, she's a grandma and he is almost 2. I know she recently remarried and she takes a lot of mini-vacations...usually of the outdoors variety and she plays the piano. That's not all that much. And of course there are the assumptions...one just came to mind. She's a 64 year old grandma whom I have never seen in slacks and she plays the piano...just exactly what does she think she is doing hiking in Death Valley!?! Another one is the absolute, utterly calm, steadiness...no matter what is going on during that session.

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i like this post alot
    thank you for writing it
    sari

     
  • At 7:58 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Ben, that was a fascinating exercise for a therapist to do in group therapy. Do you think that everybody was as smart as you and got the point the therapist was making?

    Fallen, I've never taken a core science college level class, but if it ever comes up, I'll be sure to NOT take it in summer session. I have been warned! Also, thank you for your thoughts about your therapist. There have been a few occasions when I have bumped into clients outside of the office. I think this is the kind of circumstance that the phrase "like a deer in the headlights" was created for. Not just the client, but for me too! And yes, hiking in death valley in stockings and a skirt would be kinda crazy! It's interesting to challenge our assumptions about folks, don't you think?

    S-Girl, you're welcome and I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was wondering when I came across your blog today, about whether your clients ever read it and how comfortable you would be with that. Then I found this post, in which you mention that your clients do read it, so I guess you ARE ok with it.

    Still, it makes me wonder how I would feel about my own T having a blog and how the information I might glean from that would effect my therapy.

    I'd be interested to know your thoughts on this.

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Hi there "Anon":

    I think it's important for people to have a sense of a therapist in context (I am a systemic therapist and I TOO exist in a context/system after all). There are some thing that I don't write about and I'm clear on those. I don't talk about my marriage and my spouse, other than by reference. Also, other than a passing reference to the fact that I have a child and a grandchild, I write little about them. In fact, I'm highly selective in what I choose to share.

    So far, clients have only given me positive feedback about the things I've written. People have commented that they "found out a whole lot of nothing" in spite of the things that I wrote about and yet they were also surprised how much the things I've written about appear to "flesh" me out more and make me appear more three dimensional.

    I'm not a "remote" therapist. My style is engaged. I guess in therapy this works for some people and not for others.

     
  • At 6:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi - do most therapists like their clients? rapport is about liking and helping and so is the caring in this relationship mutual. OR, is it that therapists can 'fake' liking thier clients for months and still help them. I am in therapy and I think my therapist likes me. I like her. I was just wondering if she probably likes me or might not like me at all. thanks

     
  • At 9:15 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Hi Anonymous:

    I don't know any therapist who "fakes" liking their clients. Most of my therapist friends really like, care for and in some cases love their clients deeply.

    I would imagine it would be very hard to pretend to like somebody for as long as the therapy relationship lasts between client and therapist...plus, I think most people are smart and can tell when they are liked or not. If you think your therapist likes you, Anonymous, then she probably does.

    But you've made me think a little...about whether a therapist could help somebody they don't like much. I would imagine that would be hard. There are definitely some people who are harder to like than others but I'm pretty good at finding something lovable about everybody I work with.

    Meanwhile, trust your gut. And, if all else fails, ask your therapist what she likes about you. If somebody asked me, I would tell them (although I'd be interested to know WHY they were asking me!)

    Hope this helps,

    Jassy

     
  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Definitely not a good feeling. I'm going thru again right now and feel hopeless unable to do anything about it. Like grieving but worse. I knew my T was going to be away but when the message came with dates and other T contact info, I panicked. Sent message back to see about setting up appt. upon arrival. I'm already having some issues with frequency/consistency of appts. I talked with my wife about the attachment as she has been in T in the past, could tell she did not have this feeling. I have not told my wife how consuming this feeling is though. Will definitely bring up at next appt. but already reached out to another therapist for appt. (not yet set up), would this be bad? I would use the contact given but I deleted the message because I didn't want to see her name at top of list. I can definitely see why people would quit therapy over this, but keep telling myself this is the pain to get thru to get where I'm trying to get, just hard to focus on where I'm trying to get right now. Ugh.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home