Other Side of the Couch

Welcome to a blog that aims to be full of insightful ramblings from a licensed psychotherapist, with a specialty in sex therapy and marriage and family therapy. It is my hope that this blog will be of interest to people in therapy, people contemplating therapy, people contemplating being therapists, people about to be therapists and people who already are therapists!

Monday, August 07, 2006

Blogging About Books



I just got "tagged" by a sister blogger so, in answer to her tag, here goes:

One book that changed your life:
I can't think of one single book that has changed my life, but many books have affected me. Charlie Deutsch's book, "Broken Bottles, Broken Dreams" which is about how alcoholism affects families, particularly adult children with respect to birth order, made me see my life and my childhood in a different way and was responsible for changing the way I conducted my relationships with my siblings and my parents. Marge Piercy and Mary Oliver's poems have been transformative for me. But I think "Practicing Radical Honesty" by Dr. Brad Blanton has been one of the books that has most profoundly affected the way I relate to other people and the personal standards I set in my life around truth-telling and honesty.

One book you have read more than once:
I have read many, many books more than once. Yalom's book on Group Psychotherapy is a book I refer to constantly. Millon's book, "Disorders of Personality: DSMIV and Beyond" is one of the best psych books I've ever read and I find his classification of personality disorders more useful than any other book on the topic. I also love "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte and cry every time I read it. I've read Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women" and the subsequent books more times than I can remember. But J.M.Barrie's "Peter Pan" must top the list. I read this almost daily as a child and longed to be magically transported, via the magic of fairy dust, to Neverland.

One book you would want on a desert island:
I can hardly bear to imagine what life would be like without a neverending supply of books. The idea of being relegated to one solitary book is painful and almost makes me gasp to think about. I guess it would have to be Marge Piercy's book, "The Moon is Always Female." The poetry is uplifting, spiritual and she speaks with such a clear and powerful voice.

One book that made you laugh:
"Good In Bed," by Jennifer Weiner.

One book you wish had been written:
The #1 New York Times bestseller, "The Jassy Timberlake 100% Fool-Proof Way to Find True Love and Happiness and Create Intimate Lasting Relationships" available wherever great books are found!

One book you wish had never been written:
I can't think of one. I think that all books, even supposedly hate-mongering ones, serve a purpose. I'm anti-censorship and believe that people have the right to make their own minds up about their values and beliefs.

One book you are currently reading:
Wow, where do I start. I'm always reading more than one book at once. Here's the list, and it depends on the time of day and whether I'm tired or not....

1. "Sinners Welcome," by Mary Karr
2. "Children of the Self-Absorbed: A Grownup's Guide to Getting Over Narcissistic Parents" by Nina W. Brown, Ed.D.
3. "Dress Codes: Of Three Girlhoods - My Mother's, My Father's and Mine" by Noelle Howey
4. "Bastard Out Of Carolina," by Dorothy Allison
5. "One Nation Under Therapy: How the Helping Culture is Eroding Self-Reliance: by Christina Hoff Sommers and Sally Satel, M.D.
6. "Broken for You," by Stephanie Kallos
7. "Stumbling on Happiness" by Daniel Gilbert.

One book you have been meaning to read:
"Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential For Lasting Fulfillment" by Martin E.P. Seligman, Ph.D.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Books are so wonderful arent they. I love to read and I love that there are such things as books. Some of those are titles that I have read myself like Bastard Out Of Carolina, Jane Eyre, and Little Women. :) Cool Tag.

    :) Dragon

     
  • At 8:52 AM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Dragon, I'm in agreement with you. Books are wonderful. Without books what would we do with our time? They bring you into the present, they transport you into the future, they help you re-think the past and they enable fabulous flights of fancy and imagination. I can't think of many things that can achieve all that, can you?

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    nope :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home