Other Side of the Couch

Welcome to a blog that aims to be full of insightful ramblings from a licensed psychotherapist, with a specialty in sex therapy and marriage and family therapy. It is my hope that this blog will be of interest to people in therapy, people contemplating therapy, people contemplating being therapists, people about to be therapists and people who already are therapists!

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Psychotherapy Questionnaire

I got tagged via email from a fellow psychotherapist. I'm supposed to answer these questions from the perspective of being a shrink. (I'll do this as well as I can, given that I only have 3 days to go before I'm on vacation for 8 days!)

1. I've never: given up on a client, unless I'm clear that I lack the skills and/or experience to truly help them.

2. If only: there were more hours in the day and I didn't need to sleep. I really and truly love being a therapist and wish it wasn't so darned exhausting. Sometimes I have to stop because I've run out of hours, but I haven't yet run out of a desire to listen. Oh, and another "if only" is "If only it were okay to call a former client up after a couple of years and say - So, how's life going? Are you okay?" Sometimes it's hard to have people leave and never know what happened to them.

3. Once, somebody told me that: the most important thing about being a therapist is to bring your authentic self to each session. Clients can see right through artificiality and NO good therapy will happen as a result.

4. It would suck if: I hurt a client as a result of bad therapy. I don't think it's happened yet that something I did caused actual, long-term emotional harm. I don't think I could sleep at night until I had made attempts to rectify that.

5. My feelings would get hurt if: I had a less cast-iron ego.


6. I kinda wish that: I had a magic wand. In therapy, I will often ask clients, "If you had a magic wand and could magically change this situation (substitute "this relationship, this child, this husband/wife") how would it look?" While it's a reach for some people to access magical thinking, most of us can imagine and feel the sense of relief that comes with the powerful sense of having a "super hero" tool, such as a wand.

7. The best thing that happened in a session: would be hard to pin down. There are so many times when I can see that a client's life has moved forward with a big leap or even a small stumble and all of these times need to be celebrated. Overall, I think the best thing that ever happens in a session is that a client has the guts and the bravery to show up. It's really tough work and kudos for anybody brave enough to turn up week after week to tear the scab off emotional wounds.

8. The best thing that could happen in session: is a realization on the part of the client that it was worth it to show up that day.

9. The Psychotherapy profession needs: more and longer clinical training, more clinical supervision, and a greater focus on therapists healing their own family of origin hurts.


10. The Psychotherapy profession could do without: inept therapists, untrained, and using hokey, unscientific, untested and invalid clinical/therapeutic concepts which waste a client's time and money.

8 Comments:

  • At 6:10 PM, Blogger Medicoglia, RN said…

    Number 6 is actually a running joke in my small circle of friends. Where is R? She ever find her wand? ;) My T asked me a while back, if I had a magic wand, what would I change in my life? The changes sound small, but they would make such a big difference to me. First I would get rid of the headaches...that alone would be a HUGE change for me. Then I would get stop losing time, change the internal noise to the ability to actually hear what is being said ALL of the time instead of just occasionally, and then the nightmares/memories/flashbacks would go. I would NOT change my relationship, my status as a student, my appearance or anything of the like...only things that no one else can see, but would improve my life tremendously.

    Sera

    P.S. Somehow I would have to keep forgetting the plots to movies and books I have read over and over because it is really fun to see/read something for the 25th time and have no idea what happens next!

     
  • At 8:03 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Sera: The things you would choose to change are fascinating. It's interesting that I often find that clients would not choose the "big bang" magical thing, but will often choose smaller incremental changes in their lives, such as an absence of headaches. As for forgetting the plots to movies and books, just wait a while for that to come back around again...that is definitely something that seems to come with age ;-)

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger Medicoglia, RN said…

    I think for me, getting rid of the headaches actually is a big bang magical thing! I don't remember ever NOT having a headache...there is a constant low grade headache, always. Depending on what's going on in my life, I get regular "atypical, intractable migraines"; sometimes once in a month and sometimes a string of them daily for a week. They aren't actually migraines, but my GP has labeled them that way so I don't get the ct scan, nuerologist, rebound headache, you're a drug seeker runaround ...been there, done that. It's DID related...stress = more switching = more headaches = more stress and so on. I also do get typical migraines...those are way easier to deal with though...they respond to abortive, non-narcotic meds. So being rid of headaches would be truly HUGE for me!

    Sera

     
  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger Medicoglia, RN said…

    OH!!! Forgot to mention...I don't think I'll really ever remember the plots to any stories! Half the time I can't remember yesterday or last week...I don't see that changing any time soon. :P

    Sera

     
  • At 3:46 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Sera....ouch...those headaches sound very, very painful. While I'm not a doctor (and neither do I even pretend to PLAY one in a blog!) I'm going to suggest that you do some web searching on something called "cluster headaches." These aren't typical headaches - researchers think that they're related to Circadian rhythms and believe that there are neurologic as well as a vascular component to them. Some people say that when they first started getting them, they emanated from the jaw. There's also been some research done that suggests that they are possibly Serotonin related. Anyway, I recommend a web search on these. The one site I'd start with is http://www.clusterheadaches.com. Meanwhile, my sympathies to you, Sera. That sounds awfully, horribly painful.

     
  • At 3:49 PM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Nonamie, welcome and thanks for coming forward. Hearing comments like yours are really helpful to me as a therapist. Your comment about honesty validates my "operating software" as a therapist. Please continue to come and feel welcome to make as many comments as you wish. Your contributions are valuable.

     
  • At 7:04 PM, Blogger Medicoglia, RN said…

    We've researched the cluster headache possibility too. Somehow my headaches are related to DID switching. I believe the current theory is changes in brainwaves, energy, pathways etc, causes the headaches. The more lost time I have, the worse the headaches are. It's one of the most frequently reported symptoms associated with DID (aside from the dsm criteria). They haven't been too bad lately and there has a been a LOT of stress, so I'm hopeful that some of the gains made in T have been effecting the headaches as well. :)

    Sera

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger Jassy said…

    Sera, I'm glad that you had already looked into cluster headaches, and that you had been able to "x" that out of the cause-and-effect loop. DID is not my specialty, so I can't pretend to be an expert, but I had heard from folks that headaches are not an uncommon occurrence. I'm happy to hear that gains have been made in therapy and hope that this has a profound and positive effect on your headaches in the days to come.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home